Generally, 49 hours is not a time frame that I associate with video game speed-runners, but for a game as massive as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I suppose it makes sense. New world record holder Xalikah set the first time to beat at exactly 49 hours, nine minutes and 41 seconds with his playthrough.
You can check out the entire thing on his Twitch channel… you know, if you have two days to spare.
The rules laid out for a 100 percent speedrun have been set over at reddit, and the requirements are absolutely mind-numbing.
- Acquire all heart and stamina upgrades (and thus all 120 shrines)
- Complete all quests (main, side, and shrine)
- Complete map percentage counter. (This means attaining all 900 Korok Seeds, climbing every tower, and discovering each named location.)
- Acquire all key items (all dungeon rewards, Kilton medals, bridles, saddles, Hestu’s Gift, Confidential Envelope, Shiekah Slate+, etc.)
- Fully upgrade the following clothing: Champion’s Tunic, Zora Armor Set, Wild Armor Set, Thunder Helm (as these are the only permanent clothing items that you can’t get rid of).
- Max out each Rune.
- Complete the Hylian compendium (i.e. take pictures of all animals, monsters, treasure, items, etc).
That’s quite a bit longer than the rest of the series
Breath of the Wild is a strange beast in that you can run to the final boss right away and beat your speed run almost immediately, or you can dilly-dally around in all that the world of Hyrule has to offer. The rest of the series’ entries aren’t nearly that big, and their 100 percent completion records show.
- Ocarina of Time – 4h 15m 03s
- A Link to the Past – 1h 41m 53s
- The Legend of Zelda – 36m 52s
- The Minish Cap – 4h 18m 16s
- Link’s Awakening – 1h 21m 40s
- The Wind Waker – 6h 56m 29s
- Twilight Princess – 6h 39m 49s
- Skyward Sword – 7h 41m 20s
You get the idea. Breath of the Wild is an enormous video game, one that takes the series’ legendary freedom to exponential new heights.
Add magic to your living space with these string lights
String lights add personality and soft light to your living space. Here are some of the best.
Disguise your little one with the help of a themed costume
From avocado halves to hoppy bunnies, costumes speak to every child's unique spirit. And we've collected our favorite options.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Play at home or on the go with these awesome Nintendo Switch games
Nintendo Switch has an excellent catalog of games to play. From platformers to go-karts to open worlds, these are our favorites.