Nintendo has just released firmware update 4.0.0 for the Wii U which allows the GamePad to be used as a screen for classic Wii games.
Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Escape from Bug Island, and your entire library of Wii Virtual Console games can now be enjoyed on the Wii GamePad just like any other TV. The only catch is that they must be controlled using the original input methods, be it the WiiMote, Nunchuck, or original Classic Controller.
Other neat updates include support for USB keyboards, recommendations for demos and games on SpotPass, screenshot uploads while playing, PDF support, and Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound for Wii games. Check the updates from Nintendo directly below.
Version 4.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
- A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹
- Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
- A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
- Support for USB keyboards
- An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
- Support for Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound when playing Wii software
Changes to Wii U Menu:
- Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List
Changes to System Settings:
- An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under "Internet"
- A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through "TV"
- Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
- A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under "Power Settings" when Standby Functions are enabled
Changes to Wii U Chat:
- Added the option to view a friend's profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
- Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad
Changes to Internet Browser:
- Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
- Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
- Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
- Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
- Added support for viewing PDF files³
- Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
¹ Wii software displayed on the Wii U GamePad cannot be controlled by the GamePad. This feature only allows Wii software to be displayed on the GamePad. A Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote is required to play Wii software titles.
² Users can delete saved usernames and passwords from the Internet Browser settings.
³ Sometimes data may not be displayed correctly depending on the size and format of the PDF file. PDF files cannot be saved.
My TV might be seeing a lot of Gossip Girl in the near future with my fiancee moving in, so I am excited to have this option now available to me. I have a large library of cheap Wii games I binged on over the summer vacation that are sure to get a lot of attention soon. Thank you Nintendo for giving me another screen option to use.