Now that Justice League has hit theaters, it’s time to look forward to the future of DC movies. Warner Bros decided to abandon the DC Extended Universe premise en lieu of having an open road map. This will give it the opportunity to release movies under the DC banner without having to connect to the overarching storyline established in Justice League.
Regardless, more movies that take place in this universe will still happen. With Justice League underperforming at the box office, the big picture looks a little murky with a lot of projects still “in development,” but there are few movies that are guaranteed to get made. Most of these will explore origin stories and continue to develop the plans for a Justice League 2 with Darkseid as the primary antagonist.
Let’s take a look at the upcoming slate of DC movies.
Note: There are some minor spoilers ahead. If you haven’t seen Justice League, you have been warned.
Movies that are happening
- Release date: December 21, 2018
- Status: Post-production
Aquaman is the next movie on deck that will take part in the DC faux universe. Directed by horror maestro James Wan, the film has already wrapped up production and will hit theaters in just over a year. It will pick up on Aquaman’s storyline after the events of Justice League. We should find out more about Atlantis, Mera and all the ongoings of Aquaman talking with fish.
- Release date: April 5, 2019
- Status: Pre-production
The newest superhero member to the DC movie world is going to be none other than Shazam! Warner Bros. already began pre-production for the movie, casting Zachary Levi as the titular character and Asher Angel as his alter ego, Billy Batson. David F. Sandberg will direct the project.
Wonder Woman 2
- Release date: November 1, 2019
- Status: In development
Of all of the “in development” DC movies we believe will get made, Wonder Woman 2 is the surest bet. It already has a massively popular first entry in tow, and every major player is signed on to return for the sequel including Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and director Patty Jenkins. Warner Bros is so sure this movie will get made, it bumped up the release date by a month and a half. All we know of the project is that it’ll take place in the 1980s amidst the backdrop of the Cold War, and Steve Trevor will return in some capacity.
The development bubble
Here is where the picture gets a whole lot murkier. Warner Bros. has tossed out tons of names of movies that will possibly get made, yet none has been penciled in like the previous three. We’re going to divide these movies into two categories; movies with a high chance of being made and movies with a low chance of being made.
- The Batman: Excluding all of the Ben Affleck drama, this is a marquee movie with an iconic character that is all but assured to be a financial success. Notable director Matt Reeves is also signed on to direct. Even if Affleck kicks and screams the whole way, this movie is getting made, possibly arriving in 2020. This may also serve as the perfect opportunity to hand off the reigns to a younger, more willing Caped Crusader.
- Justice League 2: Justice League’s purpose was to set up the DC universe storyline as well as Justice League 2 and Darkseid’s arrival. Will this happen, we’re not sure, especially with its predecessor underperforming at the box office, but with Warner Bros. already investing so much into this franchise, it’ll likely push this through begrudgingly.
- Green Lantern Corps: Already teased in Justice League, this has been one of the most talked about movies in the DC universe. But it still doesn’t have a director, cast or script. We’ll still put it into this category because Warner Bros really wants to make a new Green Lantern movie, and it is going to happen sooner or later.
- The Flash: After making his introduction in Justice League, faith has dwindled in the prospect of Ezra Miller’s Flash carrying a movie. But given DC’s movie slate is so bare, this one will likely get the green light because all of the other prospects aren’t that enticing either. It also didn’t help the project already lost two directors.
- Black Adam: Black Adam’s character is going to be set up in Shazam!, so people will have an idea of what this movie will be about. If we’re being real though, the only real reason the movie will be made is because the biggest movie star in the world, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, is going to star in it, and he is box office gold right now. More movies with The Rock in them is a good thing, just take a look at the Rampage trailer.
- Man of Steel 2: With the issues rising up in DC’s plans, Man of Steel 2 has continued to be pushed back over and over again. That’s not surprising given the first entry wasn’t beloved by fans. Superman will likely have his hands full appearing in Justice League 2 and making cameos in other DC movies.
- Suicide Squad 2: The first movie’s critical failure and director David Ayer departing the project likely put the final nail in the coffin for Suicide Squad 2.
- Batgirl: Joss Whedon was set to direct a Batgirl movie, but now that he’s taking over as the main director in the DC universe, he’ll likely take up directing duties in Justice League 2, further delaying or cancelling this project all together.
- Legion of Doom: Teased in one of Justice League’s post-credit scenes, Warner Bros. may have been counting its eggs before they hatched on this one. Teaming up the best DC villains for a standalone movie sounds good in theory, but if Suicide Squad told us anything, it’s that it is really hard to make unlikeable villains likable. Warner Bros will likely just let the project hang in the air as it focuses on other projects, similar to what is has done with Man of Steel 2.
- Gotham City Sirens: Another possible David Ayer project, his departure sealed the deal on this one too. Talk heated up when Ayer was involved in the project but since he left, the buzz has died off completely.
- Cyborg: As the least likable member of the Justice League, the chances of him getting his own movie look worse by the day. Cyborg just doesn’t move the needle like Batman or Superman do. With Warner Bros. already setting up to make a movie for every Justice League character except Victor Stone, it likely will never happen.
- Nightwing: The prospect of this movie was tossed out there a few months ago, but nothing has come of it.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Step into your favorite film with a pair of 3D glasses
Experience movies and video games in the most realistic way with a pair of 3D glasses. Our guide has the best to help you narrow down your choice.