HP is continuing the Pre phone series begun by Palm with the HP Pre 3. Does it carry on the tradition of a great operating system, webOS, with so-so hardware? We go hands-on with the HP Pre 3 to find out.
At yesterday’s HP event, our own Jon Rettinger got to go hands-on with the HP Pre 3, and while they didn’t allow him to handle it too much on his own, we still got a good walk through of the phone, its software and a size comparison to the omnipresent iPhone 4.
While the HP Veer seems to be directed at a more casual user, the Pre 3 is very definitely all about power users. Using a 1.4 GHz Snapdragon processor will do that for a phone to be sure.
Check it out in the video above, and let us know your thoughts on the phone in the comments below.
In case you missed them, here are all of the specs again.
HP Pre 3 Tech Specs
- 3.58-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant, 24-bit color, 480 x 800 resolution display
- Weight: 156 grams (5.5 ounces)
- Dimensions: 111 mm x 64 mm x 16 mm (4.37 inches x 2.52 inches x .63 inches)
- webOS 2.2
- Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8x55 1.4-GHz processor
- Gesture area, which enables simple, intuitive gestures for navigation
- Redesigned vertical slide-out QWERTY keyboard with backlight
- 8 or 16 gigabytes (GB) of internal storage
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1X authentication
- Wi-Fi router functionality for up to five devices using HP mobile hotspot
- Integrated GPS (and A-GPS)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Rear-facing autofocus 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, HD camcorder (capable up to 720p video recording)
- Front-facing VGA fixed-focus camera for live video calling
- Proximity sensor, light sensor, accelerometer and compass
- USB mass storage mode to transfer media and other files quickly between desktop and device