SEGA’s 2017 action RPG Valkyria Revolution didn’t come close to playing out as well as the company was hoping for. The spin-off of its beloved Valkyria Chronicles franchise was met with ire from the get-go, and in fact, it spawned so many ill-feelings among the fans that the only way to erase them all would be to make a proper sequel.
Oh… that’s happening now.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 is real, and I’m feeling more thankful than ever! SEGA has confirmed that the game will be coming to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and to nobody’s surprise, the Nintendo Switch. Portability worked for the second and third game on the PSP, so I’m already on board with Nintendo on this one.
It is the year 1935 EC…
The continent of Europa is engulfed in the flames of the Second Europan War between the Atlantic Federation and the Autocratic Eastern Imperial Alliance. Although the Federation struggles valiantly against the Empire’s forces, the relentless imperial military machine threatens to consume them. With victory slipping away, the Federation executes Operation Northern Cross: a last-ditch attempt to capture the imperial capital and end the war.
Commander Claude Wallace and his loyal childhood friends in Squad E are sent to fight for the desperate operation’s success, but they will have to endure harsh bone-chilling elements, waves of imperial soldiers, and the terrifying Valkyria… and unravel a grave truth that will shake them to the core.
- A Coming-of-Age Story in a Time of War – Valkyria Chronicles 4 takes place in the same timeframe as the original Valkyria Chronicles, but focuses on a whole new cast of main characters. Players will take command of the eager, young Commander Claude Wallace, engineer/heavy weapons extraordinaire Riley Miller, hotheaded Darcsen Raz, ice-cold ace sniper Kai Schulen, and more. Together, they will experience the painful realities of war–but will the bonds of Squad E’s friendships survive the frozen battlefield?
- The Next Generation “BLiTZ” Battle System – The part overhead turn-based strategy, part RPG, and part real-time 3rd person shooter “BLiTZ” battle system returns to the field. New features include an explosive new class called the Grenadier, numerous offensive/defensive battleship support options, chances for a unit to have a “Last Stand” action before death, and more. Plus, fight the imperial threat with more units on larger-scale maps than ever before.
- CANVAS Aesthetics – The series’ signature hand-drawn visual style is back and overhauled for the newest generation. Inspired by watercolor compositions, the CANVAS Graphics Engine blends visual elements of reality and imagination to create an expressive world filled with colorful emotions. Watch the journey of Squad E unfold like an interactive painting!
- The Return of a Legendary Composer – The illustrious Hitoshi Sakimoto, original composer of the Valkyria Chronicles series and countless other emotional epics, returns to provide a sweeping orchestral soundtrack for the game.
The PlayStation 4 also will be getting a special “10th Anniversary Memorial Pack,” celebrating ten years since the first game stole our hearts.
PS4 Version Limited Edition
The “10th Anniversary Memorial Pack” limited edition will include the following:
- A copy of Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4
- A product code for the additional story downloadable content “Joint Operation with Squad 7” – A story in which Squad 7 from the original Valkyria Chronicles appears. By playing this downloadable content, the Edelweiss operated by Welkin Gunther, as well as Alicia Melchiot, Largo Potter, and Brigitte “Rosie” Stark will be made available in the main story of Valkyria Chronicles 4. Additionally, Isara Gunther can be acquired as a unit for the first time.
- 10th Anniversary Soundtrack – A CD containing a selection of music from the series’ four titles.
- 10th Anniversary Illustration Book – A booklet filled with illustrations from the series’ four titles. The front cover illustration is done by Raita Honjou. It is B5-size and 72 pages long.
PS4 Version First-Print Purchase Bonus
First-print copies of Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4 in Japan will include the additional mission downloadable content, “Preemptive Special Tactics.” By clearing this mission, you can use Edy Nelson from the original Valkyria Chronicles as a unit in the main story.
A return to normalcy… kinda
One reason, beyond the action-focused gameplay, that so many fans had a problem with Valkyria Revolution was that it seemed to miss the point of these series. That game put you in control of super beings wielding giant swords and draped it the glitziest, tackiest costumes. Previous Valkyria Chronicles games were not about such heroes plowing through the front lines, but rather, guiding rank-and-file soldiers through the trials and hardship of war.
The characters in Valkyria Chronicles have always been everyday people, each with a cute backstory, who get plucked from their mundane lives and recruited into a militia when duty calls. Valkyria Chronicles 4 apparently is returning to that style of thinking… although the outfits are still a bit outlandish.
Can’t wait to see more! The PlayStation version will be released in Japan on March 21, 2018, and the Switch version will be released in the summer. The PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch versions will all come to North America together at some point in 2018.
And SEGA, if you’re feeling generous, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered on the Switch would also be quite the crowd pleaser, if you catch my drift.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
The Dungeons and Dragons loot you always wanted
These are the accessories you need to be at the most prepared D&D player at your table.