The long-awaited untethered jailbreak of iOS 6 finally arrived yesterday via the evasi0n release, and while some folks rushed to get their grubby mitts on the hack, others waited patiently to see if any quirks popped up to spoil the fun.
And now, if you’ve been keeping up with this news, you know that many iPhone users experienced a weird glitch that breaks the stock Weather app. Meanwhile, iPad jailbreakers noticed the opposite — they now suddenly have Weather. (According to renowned hackuoso MuscleNerd, the app was always on board since iOS 6, but it was just hidden from the user.)
The team is reportedly working on a fix, but if you don’t rely on Weather — or would really love to grace that iPad with some climatological goodness — then you might decide not to wait and jump into the jailbreak anyway. You certainly wouldn’t be alone. Evasi0n has been downloaded more than 1.7 million times in the past 24 hours.
The process itself is pretty simple. If you haven’t jailbroken yet, here’s what you’re in for:
- iPhone (5, 4S, 4, 3GS), iPad (4, 3, 2, mini), iPod touch (4, 5).* Sorry Apple TV 3 users, your day hasn’t come yet
- iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, or 6.1 (preferably 6.1**, so you don’t miss any new features, but it’s not required)
- Windows XP or above, Mac OS X v10.5 or above, Linux (x86 / x86_64)
- USB sync cable
*If you jailbroke an older A4-based device via the tethered jailbreak for iOS 6.1, don’t follow this. You can convert that into untethered by installing “evasi0n 6.x Untether” from Cydia.
** Warning: Issues may or may not crop up for users who updated to iOS 6.1 over the air. The Evad3rs team warns against updating this way for the evasi0n jailbreak, though some users have reported success. If you’ve already updated OTA, proceed with caution. If you haven’t yet, use iTunes to download and update the firmware.
- If you downloaded apps directly to your device, then pull them into iTunes via Transfer Purchases. And don’t forget your camera roll, especially if you don’t use Photo Stream. Even if you do, transfer them anyway, for safekeeping. Note: Syncing your device to iTunes doesn’t bring them in, so use iPhoto, Aperture, Adobe Bridge or other photo programs to import them.
- Update your firmware to iOS 6.1 via iTunes.
- Backup your device using iTunes or iCloud (preferably iTunes — tethered backup is safer and faster).
- Make sure the lock passcode on your device is off, and don’t plan on using iOS or doing iTunes-related tasks until the jailbreak is done.
Using the Evasi0n Jailbreak:
- Download evasi0n (Windows / Mac / Linux)
- Before you do anything else, make sure iTunes (or Xcode, if you have it) is shut down.
- Launch the evasi0n app. (Windows: Right click on evasi0n.exe and select “Run as administrator.” Hit “Yes” if User Access Control window shows up. Mac: If you’re on OS X 10.8 and can’t open the app, try control-clicking or right-clicking on it, then select “Open” from the context menu and then the dialogue box.)
- Plug the device into your computer using the USB cable.
- A window will appear on your computer confirming that evasi0n has detected the device, and a Jailbreak button will become active. Hit the button.
- You’ll see a status indicator as evasi0n prepares the jailbreak data, injects the data, reboots the device, uploads Cydia, and its packages list, etc. When it’s done, a screen will pop up on your monitor asking you to unlock your device. Once you go into your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, look for a new app called “Jailbreak.” Tap the icon once.
- Let the jailbreak do its thing. You’ll see status messages on the desktop indicating injection of jb data and Root Filesystem successfully remounted on the evasi0n tool, etc. Your device may reboot several times, and at some point, you’ll see a “Done!” message and the white evasi0n logo amid more reboots and blinking. Don’t worry, this is normal and totally automated, so go grab a glass of water or a snack. This can take a little while.
- When the process is finished, you’ll see the Cydia icon ready and waiting for you on your homescreen.
As you can see, it’s not a difficult procedure, but you always need to be extra careful whenever you mess around with system files. No one wants a bricked device. As for length, the jailbreak can take about 15 minutes to half an hour, so patience is key. (So is backing up!) But if you do get hung up somewhere, don’t panic. Just restart the program, reboot your i-device (hold down Power and Home) and then start again.
Have you jailbroken your iOS device, or are you planning to? If you have, would you have waited if you knew about the Weather app glitch beforehand? Tell us about your experience with evasi0n, and if you have any hot tips for Cydia packages, leave them in the comments below.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Stay fully powered with the best chargers
Having a portable charger in your pocket is always a good idea in the modern age. Here are some of the best you can buy.