Nintendo released a system update on Tuesday for its fast-selling video game console. The Switch is being upgraded to version 5.0.0, which might sound like a big deal on paper but doesn’t actually include anything particularly impressive.
A lot of what’s been implemented is low-level and doesn’t dramatically change the experience of the hybrid device.
The system update for this month includes friend suggestions from social media, enhanced parental controls, and a bunch of minor tweaks. If you were expecting some type of overhaul for the user interface, your wait continues. Nintendo is pretty satisfied with the way its customers have reacted to the Switch since its release one year ago this month.
Here’s the official changelog:
– Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
– Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelest to excluse them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
– Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
– To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
– Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
– Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
– Receive notification when pre-puchased software is ready to play
– Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels – Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
Nintendo recently announced a batch of new titles landing this year and in 2019. The company will be releasing Super Smash Bros., Dark Souls Remastered, Crash Bandicoot N’sane Trilogy, and more for the Switch over the course of the next few months. The Nintendo 3DS, too, is getting fresh games despite its aging lifespan.
The Wii U may have been a flop, but Nintendo is proving to us it can be just as competitive as Sony and Microsoft with a console unlike any other.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Play at home or on the go with these awesome Nintendo Switch games
Nintendo Switch has an excellent catalog of games to play. From platformers to go-karts to open worlds, these are our favorites.