Review embargoes for Super Mario 3D Land in the western part of the world lifted today at 10 AM. Across the board (so it seems), the game is being heralded as a platforming classic and the reason to buy a Nintendo 3DS. My own review on a different publication stands as a part of that pack, and I completely agree with the general, collective idea that this game can and should move systems.
For Japan, that is definitely the case. As Andriasang reports on Media Create’s hardware and software sales in Japan from October 31st to November 6th, Super Mario 3D Land and the Nintendo 3DS take the crowns in both categories by a long shot. Here are both charts, courtesy of Andriasang (the numbers in parentheses are the units sold in the previous sales period):
- 01. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 11/03): 343,492
- 02. [PS3] Uncharted 3 (Sony, 11/02): 124,989
- 03. [PS3] Battlefield 3 (EA, 11/02): 123,379
- 04. [PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (EA, 10/27): 122,286 (594,540)
- 05. [WII] Kirby Wii (Nintendo, 10/27): 55,779 (192,589)
- 06. [PSP] Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami, 11/03): 45,437
- 07. [3DS] Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 (Square Enix, 11/03): 38,859
- 08.  Battlefield 3 (EA, 11/02): 27,723
- 09. [WII] Just Dance Wii (Nintendo, 10/13): 25,665 (189,116)
- 10. [WII] Go Vacation (Namco Bandai, 10/20): 16,995 (89,463)
- 11. [WII] Winning Eleven Play Maker 2012 (Konami, 11/03): 14,117
- 12. [WII] Wii Sports Resort Wiiplus Pack (Nintendo, 11/11): 12,570 (638,091)
- 13. [PS3] Idolmaster 2 (Namco Bandai, 10/27): 10,721 (76,233)
- 14. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami, 10/06): 10,636 (381,156)
- 15. [PS2] Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami, 11/03): 9,786
- 16. [PSP] AKB1/48 If I Loved an Idol in Guam (Namco Bandai, 10/06): 8,883 (310,625)
- 17. [WII] Minna no Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo, 07/21): 8,581 (535,523)
- 18. [PS3] Macross F Sayonara no Tsubasa Hybrid Pack (Namco Bandai, 10/20): 8,352 (167,700)
- 19. [PSP] Naruto Narutimate Impact (Namco Bandai, 10/20): 7,144 (72,374)
- 20. [3DS] Model Fashion Audition 2 (Alchemist, 11/03): 6,643
- 1. 3DS: 145,271 (65,041)
- 2. PSP: 27,952 (30,605)
- 3. PS3: 26,966 (25,217)
- 4. Wii: 11,725 (11,784)
- 5. DSi LL: 2,041 (2,009)
- 6. X360: 1,699 (1,704)
- 7. PS2: 1,457 (1,228)
- 8. DSi: 1,057 (1,061)
- 9. DS Lite: 33 (55)
Having played the game from start to finish, I can safely say that these sales results are entirely warranted. The Nintendo 3DS has seen vastly improved sales performance in Japan ever since the price cut came in August. With that, the release of Super Mario 3D Land will likely do wonders for the system’s lifeline.
I’m sure we’ll see another massive boost when Mario Kart 7 arrives.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
The Dungeons and Dragons loot you always wanted
These are the accessories you need to be at the most prepared D&D player at your table.