These days, movie posters and video game boxes have devolved into a mere five minute photoshop job, and it takes a lot of guts to put something out there that actually speaks to the effort put into the game. Safety is key, and too much substance might turn off potential average Joe customers, meaning entertainment advertisement has become a cooperative race towards the bottom of the barrel.
We’ve seen some bland and disgusting box art over the past few years, but luckily, Insomniac Games is here to push back against the trend with Sunset Overdrive.
Not that the company is 100% guilt free. It is the same firm which settled on the Fuse box art after all, but this time it turned to some outside help to capture the essence the game and still make it marketable.
Sunset Overdrive‘s boxart was drawn be ilovedust, a graphic design studio from Southern England who works with huge companies like Nike, Red Bull and Wired. Insomniac Community Manager James Stevenson chimed in with an official blog update to share how the two companies became acquainted and how the designing process unfolded.
“When we all set out to create a box art for Sunset Overdrive, we knew we had a major challenge ahead of us,” Stevenson says.
“First, Sunset Overdrive isn’t a character-forward game. The character in Sunset Overdrive is YOU. You’ll customize your character and play as yourself. So the cover couldn’t really solely focus on just a game-style rendered character and weapon [today’s ‘standard’ videogame cover].”
The results do just what the two companies set out to do, capture every element of the game which makes it unique and mash them into a colorful image that perfectly captures Sunset Overdrive‘s insanity. Look closely and you will see:
- Hero Character with Roman Candle gun. This was one of the tougher parts, as showing any sort of “hero” in a game where YOU are the hero and can play as male or female, various body types, and tons of customization options, means you probably won’t see this guy in your game much.
- OD, Overcharge Drinkers. Multiple varieties of OD in the mutant OD horde.
- Survivors. Other residents of Sunset City who didn’t drink Overcharge Delirium XT that you’ll meet during the game.
- Scab. The human ne’er-do-wells who are taking the opportunity to loot and plunder Sunset City.
- Effects. Fourth wall breaking effects from the Scab’s gun.
- Fizzie. Fizzco’s corporate mascot insisted on being on the box cover! He’s impossible to resist, as you’ve seen on Twitter so far. Check out his robot blimp hovering menacingly in the clouds.
- Game logo. ilovedust’s logo for the game, in bright Overcharge Orange.
What do you think? It certainly has a lot more character than most official video game boxart these days. See BioShock Infinite for comparison, which actually had to hold a fan poll to deliver something more of what the non-Call of Duty crew was looking for.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
The Dungeons and Dragons loot you always wanted
These are the accessories you need to be at the most prepared D&D player at your table.