The timeline of Star Wars is a beast of its own. With 40 years under its belt, it can sometimes be difficult to keep track of everything.
When Disney purchased Lucasfilm, one of the first things it did was to announce the Expanded Universe would be rebranded as "Legends," and going forward the only items still in canon were the six main films (at that time), The Clone Wars movie, The Clone Wars series and Rebels, which was about to be released. From that point forward there would be people in charge of making sure everything stayed on track and nothing would contradict what had happened in Legends.
The good news is now when you pick up a Star Wars novel you know that it is a true part of the overall canon of the Star Wars universe. That being said, a lot has been published since that original announcement, so in celebration of the 40th anniversary on May 25th, we've cataloged everything as it currently exists.
A few notes:
- BBY stands for "Before Battle of Yavin"
- ABY stands for "After Battle of Yavin"
- We note the date a story starts, but some of them continue well beyond that as in Lost Stars
- A few items are somewhat official, but not written in stone as of yet such as the Han Solo movie as well as The Last Jedi and Episode IX.
Episodes I – III
Not much has been done as of yet in the time period of the Prequel trilogy. This is partially because The Clone Wars animated series brilliantly covered so much of it.
- Darth Maul comic – 33 BBY
- Star Wars Adventures comic – 33 BBY
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace – 32 BBY
- Obi-Wan & Anakin comic – 29 BBY
- Episode II: Attack of the Clones – 22 BBY
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel – 22 BBY
- Jedi of the Republic: Mace Windu comic – 22 BBY
- The Clone Wars film – 21 BBY
- The Clone Wars series – 21 BBY
- Dark Disciple novel – 19 BBY
- Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic – 19 BBY
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith – 19 BBY
Between Episodes III & IV
The 30 year span between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope has become a fertile ground for exploration, and one that Lucasfilm seems keen to keep exploring.
- Darth Vader comic – 19 BBY
- Ahsoka novel – 18 BBY
- Kanan: The Last Padawan comic – 18 BBY
- Tarkin novel – 14 BBY
- Lords of the Sith novel – 14 BBY
- Rise of the Empire short story collection – 14 BBY
- Rebel Rising novel – 13 BBY
- Rebels series – 11 to 5 BBY
- Lost Stars novel – 11 BBY
- Untitled Han Solo film – 10 BBY
- Thrawn novel – 7 BBY
- Guardians of the Whills novel – 5 BBY
- Rogue One: Cassian & K-2SO comic – 1 BBY
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – 0 BBY
Episode IV – VI
The time gap between the films of the original trilogy has allowed people to explore what our favorite band of Rebels was up to more in-depth.
- Episode IV: A New Hope – 0 BBY
- From a Certain Point of View short story collection – 0 BBY
- Battlefront: Twilight Company novel – 0 BBY
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad novel – 0 BBY
- Princess Leia comic – 1 ABY
- Darth Vader comic – 1 ABY
- Heir to the Jedi novel – 1 ABY
- Star Wars comic – 1 ABY
- Chewbacca comic – 1 ABY
- Vader Down comic – 1 ABY
- Lando comic – 1 ABY
- Doctor Aphra comic – 1 ABY
- Screaming Citadel comic – 1 ABY
- Weapon of a Jedi novel – 2 ABY
- Smuggler's Run novel – 2 ABY
- Han Solo comic – 2 ABY
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back – 3 ABY
- Moving Target novel – 4 ABY
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi – 4 ABY
After Episode VI
The 30 years after Return of the Jedi is a time period I suspect we will see visited far more often in the future as they can fill in the histories of Rey, Poe and Finn as well as those who survived the original trilogy.
- Battlefront II game – 4 ABY
- Shattered Empire comic – 4 ABY
- Aftermath novel – 5 ABY
- Aftermath: Life Debt novel – 5 ABY
- Aftermath: Empire's End novel – 5 ABY
- Uprising game – 5 ABY
- Bloodline novel – 28 ABY
- Phasma novel – 30 ABY
- C-3PO comic – 34 ABY
- Poe Dameron comic – 34 ABY
- Before the Awakening novel – 34 ABY
- Episode VII: The Force Awakens – 34 ABY
- Captain Phasma comic – 34 ABY
- Episode VIII: The Last Jedi – 34 ABY
- Episode IX – 35 ABY