Sprint announced the Kyocera Echo, the first dual-screen Android phone, at its event tonight.
While we had known about this event for a month, we had no clue until today what was being announced. Earlier today we learned that it looked the Kyocera Echo, the first dual-screen Android phone, was the most likely candidate for the announcement, and it proved to be true. We had live coverage of the event, but nothing beats a good old recap.
The new phone features dual 3.5-inch LCD WVGA screens that will make a total of 4.7-inches diagonally when both screens are open. You will be able to run separate apps in each screen, or one that spans both when you choose. If you want to use just one screen, you can use the unique hinge system to move one behind the other and it’s out of your way whenever you want.
Surprisingly, the Echo doesn’t have 4G speeds. Why, we have no idea, but this has to be the most surprising aspect of the phone over all.
Kyocera Echo Specs
- Dual 3.5-inch LCD WVGA (800 x 480 pixels) capacitive touchscreens (4.7 inches diagonally and 800 x 960 pixels when opened)
- Android 2.2
- 1GHz Snapdragon processor (QSD 8650 Android)
- Dimensions: 115.0 x 56.5 x 17.2mm, Weight: 193g (6.8 oz.)
- Removable 1370mAh battery; includes spare battery (1370 mAh) with portable charger that can also tether to the phone as an external power supply
- Memory: 1GB/512MB; 8GB microSD included
- Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports cards up to 32GB
- Digital compass, accelerometer, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
- Wi-Fi hotspot capability (supports up to 5 devices)
- Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- Stereo Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- 5MP camera with flash, autofocus and 2x digital zoom and 720p HD camcorder
- High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G speeds
- VueQue, a pre-loaded app that lets users watch a YouTube video in one display, while browsing, queuing and buffering additional YouTube videos on the other
- Google mobile services including Google Search, Google Maps, Google Talk instant message, Gmail, YouTube and synchronization with Google Calendar
- Full HTML Web browser with Google search, optimized for dual-screen experience
- Sprint Zone one-stop wireless account access, phone tips, news and more
- Access to Telenav GPS Navigator and Sprint TV & Movies
- Corporate (MS Exchange ActiveSync) and personal (POP & IMAP) email access
- Messaging – personal and business email, Google Talk instant message and text messaging
- Network – 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A) – peak download speeds of 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds 600 kbps – 1.4 Mbps
- Wi-Fi: (802.11 b/g)
What say you? Any interest in the Kyocera Echo?