Noooooo, JRPG publishers! How are you going to do this to me?! Atlus has confirmed that Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, the sub-sequel to one of the Nintendo 3DS’ best games, will be released on Sept. 20.
What’s the problem? That doesn’t seem too far away, does it? The wait can’t be that bad. Well, it’s not. The wait is fine, but the problem with the date is that it comes out four days after Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past, and I’m sorry to say, but Dragon Quest is going to win that fight nine out of ten times, the tenth time being if I haven’t been bitten by the Dragon Quest bug.
I’ve got 100 hours to sink into Dragon Quest VII, and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is just going to have to wait. Atlus will put its game on sale sooner, anyway.
If you’re in the mood for a darker, much more hardcore storyline, though, with a blisteringly steep difficultly curve, maybe Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is the way to go. Here are a few of the character’s you’ll get to meet during your quest.
- Nanashi – Nanashi is the silent player controlled protagonist who’s trying to become a full fledged member of the Hunter Association. He gets murdered early in the game by a demon, but is given a second chance at life by the god Dagda. In return, he must serve as Dagda’s personal “Godslayer” in the world changing events to come…
- Asahi – The ever optimistic Asahi is Nanashi’s childhood friend/Hunter Association teammate. She’s eager to prove herself in the field, but will need to overcome her doubts in order to become a key member of the group.
- Navarre – This familiar Samurai from the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado is making a return! Well sort of, because Navarre is no longer what we would call “alive.” He’s now a green ghost who can use his ethereal powers to the benefit of the team.
- Nozomi – Nozomi is another familiar character who is the newly appointed Fairy Queen working under the protection of the goddess Danu. She’s a level-headed and mature ally who will provide valuable skills and insight for the party.
- Hallelujah– This young gray haired individual is a member of the Ashura-kai gang, who is ordered to join Nanashi and co. in their journey to “watch” them. Hallelujah is accompanied by his foxlike pet demon Chironnupu, who will support him in battle.
- Gaston – Gaston, or as he likes to call himself Gaston the Magnificent, is the brash and arrogant younger brother of Navarre. He is the leader of an elite squad of Samurai called the Crusaders and will undoubtedly be a useful partner during fights. That is, if players can stand his braggadocios nature, but you know what they say, “no one fights like Gaston!”
- Toki – This mysterious Oni mask wearing girl in black is an assassin for the Ring of Gaea faction. She absolutely does not have an ulterior motive for joining the squad. Nope, totally doesn’t have a hidden agenda or anything like that.
- Isabeau – This steadfast Samurai is the best friend and confidant of the heroic Flynn (the protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei IV). Isabeau is an experienced warrior who will act as a great role model for the younger members of the party.
Man, what a busy year for JRPG fans. I don’t know if this is a blessing or a curse. I can only gasp in wonder at how my 13-year-old self was able to keep up with so many of these games.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse will be released for the Nintendo 3DS on Sept. 20.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Capture your best stream with the best capture cards
Watching people play video games is almost as much fun as playing them. If you want people to enjoy your gameplay, you will need one of these amazing capture cards.