You may not know of Robot Entertainment. They are a relatively new studio that’s only put out one full game, Orcs Must Die! (though they’re also responsible for Age of Empires Online). The Steam and Xbox LIVE based third person RPG tower defense title dropped a short while back and received a large round of critical praise upon release.
Before that? They didn’t exists…as Robot Entertainment. This studio was formed by former members of Microsoft’s Ensemble Studios. Ensemble were the folks behind Halo Wars and, more famously, the Age of Empires series. They garnered a cult following while below Microsoft, but once the publisher cut ties with the developers and broke Ensemble apart, several of those folks started Robot Entertainment anew.
That’s why you should care about their new mobile game. These guys and gals know development, they know strategy titles and they know fun. As they announce Hero Academy for the iOS platform. This strategy title, as pictured both above and in the gallery below, does not have a price point or release date just yet; however, it does have some quick, key facts as illustrated by Robot Entertainment’s announcement post:
- Multiplayer tactics gaming on the go – challenge friends to one-on-one battles via online multiplayer
- Asynchronous strategy – play a heated bout in twenty minutes or across a full day, whenever you have a few moments
- Quick to Learn – Casual players can attack without mercy, while tactics game buffs will love the strategic cat-and-mouse gameplay
- Heroic visuals – Colorful fantasy graphics highlight each character and the board’s boost tiles
- Vicious variety – each team has five unique units with different strengths and magical abilities
The Asynchronous strategy play is a big draw for me. I’m not one to sit down on a mobile device and game in big stretches. With the ability to play full, well made games a little bit at a time and still remain competitive, I’m actually happy with the platform. That’s why I know I’ll personally be giving this one a shot.
We’ll have more on Hero Academy as it comes.
[via Robot Entertainment]