Star Wars: Rebels is back with a third season release, and it’s an essential purchase for even the most casual Star Wars fan.
The Star Wars universe has morphed into far more than the movies over the years, and it can be difficult to keep up with it all between the comics, novels, video games and more. One of the most essential and enjoyable expansions has been the different animated series. Starting with the six season The Clone Wars, the animation team has been crafting excellent stories that fill in gaps in the narrative as well as introduce us to new characters.
Star Wars Rebels season 3 went a long way in filling gaps with a resolution to the Darth Maul storyline, as well as an appearance by Saw Gerrera – voiced by Forest Whitaker – that gave some back story to his role in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
As to the bonus features, things have improved with this season with the number of bonus features increasing. Each episode has a “Rebel Recon” addition that will give you behind-the-scenes information on the corresponding episode, but these have been on YouTube since the episodes released.
There is a lot this time around about the backgrounds of characters including Thrawn, Saw Gerrera, as well as about the story arcs of Kenobi and Maul. The extra features this time definitely up the desirability of adding this to your collection.
This is a must-buy for even casual Star Wars fans. If you’ve seen the episodes, you could potentially skip it, but if you haven’t seen them, then do not hesitate in picking it up and enjoying yet another chapter in the story from a galaxy far, far away.
Star Wars: Rebels Season 3 Bonus Features
- Return To Mandalore – Explore where Mandalore fits within the Empire’s regime – and whether Sabine can unite her people against the Imperial forces.
- Thrawn: A Legend Reborn – Learn Thrawn’s significance in Star Wars lore, and what the future may hold for this memorable villain.
- Apprentices to Outcasts: Kenobi And Maul – Track two adversaries who’ve clashed throughout Star Wars history, and find out why the time was right to conclude their story.
- The Original Rebel: Saw Gerrera Returns – Extended – Meet the Original Rebel. This exclusive extended version features Forest Whitaker discussing the character he brings to life in both Rebels and Rogue One.
- Five Audio Commentaries – Featuring Dave Filoni (Executive Producer), Justin Ridge (Supervising Director), Kilian Plunkett (Art Director), Keith Kellogg (Animation Supervisor) and Joel Aron (CG Supervisor: Lighting & FX)
- A Rebel Alliance – Discover how the formation of the Rebel Alliance in Rebels ties into the Rogue One timeline – and the exciting story possibilities that lie ahead for season 4.
- Rebels Recon – Go behind the scenes with the cast and crew in 19 entertaining and information-packed episode recaps!
TechnoBuffalo LLC has affiliate partnerships with various companies. These do not at any time have any influence on the editorial content of TechnoBuffalo. TechnoBuffalo LLC may earn a commission from these links.
Disney provided us with a review copy for the purposes of this review.