Starting today, right this very moment, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to log into their device’s eShop and download 20 classic games for free. 10 of the retro titles, of a Nintendo Entertainment System flavor, have been available for months; but, this morning marks the first time gamers will be able to download 10 wonderful Game Boy Advance games.
The offering? It’s a great list. Here are the games you’ll be able to snag:
- F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
- Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit
- Mario vs Donkey Kong
- Metroid Fusion
- Wario Land 4
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
Here’s how you’ll be able to download your free games:
- Turn on your Nintendo 3DS.
- Turn on the device’s wireless and be sure you are connected to the internet.
- Open the eShop.
- Scroll all the way to the left and tap “Settings/Other.”
- Scroll down and tap “Your Downloads.”
- Scroll until you see one of the new GBA titles and tap “Redownload.”
- Tap “Download.”
- Tap “Download Now.” Because, you know, the other two times you told it to download weren’t enough.
- Once the download finishes (roughly 30 seconds for me), press the “Home” button and “unwrap” the new software.
That’s it, enjoy your free games.
Certainly, some of you may be wondering what the “Nintendo 3DS Ambassador” thing is all about. In August of this year, Nintendo dropped the price of the 3DS from $250 to $170. Essentially, six months after the hardware released, Nintendo had to knock $80 off of the sticker price. That frustrated a lot of diehard Nintendo fans who bought the system on or near launch for $250.
Nintendo decided to create the Ambassador program as a way of thanking and apologizing to the fans that bought the machine before the cut. Does it make up for the money spent? Of course not. But, for a lot of gamers, the 20 free games helps soften the blow.
Which of the pack are you going to download first?