Pokèmon Sun and Moon have tapped into audience’s interest in a way that the last two games seemed to miss. Everyone loves these games, and they are doing very well around the globe, even in their home country of Japan.
At a time when Yo-kai Watch completely owns the imagination of the country’s youths, Pokèmon Sun and Moon showed up big to remind everyone who is the true king of this portable monster collecting genre. The games combined for nearly 2 million sold copies nationwide in their first week of availability. They easily topped the best-selling games list for the week, and more importantly, they boosted the sales of the New Nintendo 3DS to the number 1 spot, stealing the PlayStation 4 Pro’s thunder.
See the lists of best-selling software and hardware below for Japan.
- Pokémon Sun and Moon – 3DS – 1,590,629 / New
- Pokémon Sun and Moon (Double Pack) – 3DS – 151,379 / New
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare – PS4 – 11,120 / 142,954
- Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star – PS Vita – 9,276 / 82,295
- Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star – PS4 – 6,450 / 76,079
- Battlefield 1 – PS4 – 8,494 / 203,863
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition – PS4 – 7,587 / 34,917
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 – PS4 – 6,703 / 87,105
- Mario party: Star Rush – 3DS – 6,021 / 63,897
- Beyblade Burst – 3DS – 5,611 / 22,127
- Minecraft: Wii U Edition – Wii U – 4,932 / 176,825
- Monster Hunter Stories – 3DS – 4,778 / 271,566
- Minecraft: PS Vita Edition – PS Vita – 4,727 /920,327
- Titanfall 2 – PS4 – 4,583 /46,709
- Pripara Mezameyo – 3DS – 4,086 / 32,951
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization – PS Vita – 3,991 / 95,670
- World of Final Fantasy – PS Vita – 3,513 / 72,437
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization – PS4 – 3,363 / 96,395
- Hakuouki: Yuugi Roku – Taishitachi no Daienkai – PS Vita – 3,288 / New
- Kirby: Planet Robobot – 3DS – 3,100 / 469,860
And for hardware:
- New 3DS XL – 81,044
- PS4 – 25,605
- 2DS – 17,769
- PS4 Pro – 12,421
- PS Vita – 9,191
- New 3DS – 8,193
- Wii U – 3,251
- PS3 – 625
- 3DS – 529
- Xbox One – 186
- 3DS XL 96
The PlayStation 4 does better than the PS4 Pro
Another interesting result is how the PlayStation 4 performed better than the PlayStation 4 Pro during its second week of availability. Japan has been combating the idea that it no longer is interested in cutting-edge gaming technology and that it prefers cheaper experiences regardless of the power behind them. The standard PlayStation 4 recovering in the face of superior hardware doesn’t do a lot to change that impression.
As for Pokèmon Sun and Moon, I still haven’t gotten around to them. I need to clear out Wild ARMs before I jump aboard, but I am psyched to do so. The last two games failed to leave a strong impression on me, and FireRed and LeafGreen are still my Pokèmon games of choice. Maybe this latest generation will finally supplant them.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
These are the best Nintendo 3DS games you can buy right now
One of the best reasons to buy a Nintendo 3DS is its vast game library and here are some of the best 3DS games you can buy right now.