The next patch is up for testing on the PTR for Overwatch, and it includes changes we already knew about and some stuff we didn’t.
First and foremost? Roadhog’s dang hook. We learned earlier this week that it was on deck for tweaks thanks to Blizzard, and that’s now live. Here’s how Roadhog’s been altered.
- Chain Hook
- Targets are now pulled directly in front of Roadhog (rather than straight to him), except in cases where Roadhog drastically rotates
- Hooked targets are now released if they leave Roadhog’s line-of-sight before being pulled
- Line-of-sight checks (which detect if targets should be initially hit by the hook) are now done from Roadhog’s position, rather than the hook’s position
Developer Comments: The hook should now feel more consistent for Roadhog players, but it should also feel more reasonable to his enemies, as they cannot be hooked or pulled around corners anymore.
That’s not all, friendos. Ana, Sombra and D.Va have all been tweaked, though I’m not too sure I’m happy about Ana’s change. I’ll explain why in a second. Here’s how each hero’s been altered; pay special attention to D.Va’s armor and health pools.
- Biotic Grenade
- Healing boost on allies has been decreased by 50%
Developer Comments: The healing boost from Ana’s Biotic Grenade was providing too much healing, especially when used on targets with large health pools.
- Health increased from 200 to 400
- Armor decreased from 400 to 200
- Fusion Cannons
- Bullet damage decreased from 3 to 2
- Number of bullets per shot has been increased from 8 to 11
Developer Comments: D.Va’s armor often made her feel like she had no weaknesses, even against heroes that are often effective against bigger targets (like Reaper). The changes to her Fusion Cannons will result in a small overall decrease in damage, but they should feel more consistent now.
- The time it takes to hack a target has been decreased from 1 second to 0.8 seconds
Developer Comments: Sombra often had difficulty hacking enemies, even when she surprised the target. This change should help her execute hacks more easily.
There’s that note there in there about Roadhog’s hook not letting people simply grab, do a 180 and drop them in a hole. Heh, well… (from Reddit)
Right, about Ana…
I’m not really sure how necessary the debuff to Ana’s heal boosting grenade really is. Ana has a hard time keeping tanks stacked on health without that grenade. Squishy characters? Sure, a few shots to Tracer, Sombra, Mercy, etc., they’re healed. Roadhog? Rein? You’re firing away at those guys at full clip for a while in order to top them off.
That heal grenade makes Ana an incredible pick when stacking tanks, especially with one of the more recent metas in competitive play being a three tank team.
Maybe I’m just bummed because this makes one of my mains a touch weaker. Actually, that’s definitely it.
This patch is live on the PTR. Changes could happen before it hits the full release, so stay tuned.