As usual, Nintendo walked away as the most discussed topic on social media during E3 2018. According to Twitter, gamers and enthusiasts made 15 million tweets during the entire convention, a figure that peaked especially during the Nintendo Direct presentation between 9:00-10:00 AM EST on June 12.
Nintendo, of course, got the most chatter during the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate announcement, and the release window was the most retweeted announcement.
However, Nintendo wasn’t alone in its success. Microsoft also showed up big this year, bringing a lot more hype and press this year than it had done in previous years. The company ranked second, after only Nintendo, when it came to general discussions.
Sony and the PlayStation ranked fifth behind Fallout.
According to Twitter, these were the most discussed topics.
- Nintendo (@Nintendo)
- Xbox (@Xbox)
- Super Smash Bros. (#SuperSmashBros)
- Fallout (@Fallout)
- Playstation (@PlayStation)
- Kingdom Hearts (@KINGDOMHEARTS)
- Ubisoft (@Ubisoft)
- Elder Scrolls (@ElderScrolls)
- Death Stranding (#DEATHSTRANDING)
- Fortnite (@FortniteGame)
The most discussed games:
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Fallout 76
- The Last of Us 2
- Death Stranding
And the most talked about reveals.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate release date is announced
- Ridley announced as newest character added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Elder Scrolls VI trailer is revealed at @Bethesda press conference
Meaning, a clean sweep for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Nintendo. Not bad, but did anyone see this not coming? As far back as 2016, Nintendo always scores big on social media, and 2018 merely continues the winning streak.