Nintendo sent out a press release last night that indicated that its handheld had one of its best sales months on record.
The Nintendo 3DS moved 452,000 units in October, that figure includes the 2DS, more than doubling its hardware sales from September. The reason for the big push? Aside from a pre-existing library that most would consider really strong, Nintendo launched Pokémon X and Y.
Pokémon X and Y grabbed the number one and two positions for October, and the games combined to sell more than 1.7 million units. All software combined to break more than two million sold in October. That's the best month, according to the release, since the December of 2011 that saw Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land.
The Nintendo 3DS is one of the hottest systems on the market right now. An affordable price point coupled with a strong software library have made it highly desirable.
Nintendo 3DS Doubles September HW Sales, Has Biggest SW Month of 2013
Nintendo 3DS marked its sixth consecutive month as the country's best-selling video game hardware system, with more than 452,000 units sold, thanks in part to the launch of Nintendo 2DSand sales of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware in October doubled last month's tally*, and marked the most units any portable video game system or home console has sold in a single month in 2013.
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y were the No. 1 and No. 2 top-selling titles last month, with more than 1.7 million units combined, making October the biggest month for Nintendo 3DS software all year. Total Nintendo 3DS first-party software sales hit more than 2 million units sold, the highest tally since the report for December 2011, which included sales of hit games Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7.
Software sells hardware, and Nintendo is heading into a strong season of value and variety with a range of games that appeal to everyone for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U:
- Nintendo-published games now available include Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins and Mario Kart 7. Games still on the way in 2013 include The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour.
- Some top third-party Nintendo 3DS games for the holiday season include Sonic Lost World from SEGA (exclusive), Shin Megami Tensei IV from ATLUS (exclusive), Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (exclusive) from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! Collector's Edition from D3Publisher (exclusive) and Skylanders SWAP Force from Activision.
- Nintendo-published games now available include Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Wii Party U. Wii U games still on the way in 2013 include Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games on Nov. 15 and Super Mario 3D World on Nov. 22.
- Digitally exclusive Nintendo-published games now available in the Nintendo eShop include Wii Sports Club – Tennis, Wii Sports Club – Bowling and EarthBound, as well as the Wii Fit U free trial version of the full game, available now until the end of January 2014.
- Make sure to keep an eye out in stores for recently announced Wii U bundles, now available at the suggested retail price of $299.99 each. All three bundles cater to value shoppers looking for a fun and economical gift for themselves or a loved one this holiday season.
- The new Wii U Deluxe Set now comes with two great games, New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U, all on one disc, while the limited-edition Wii U Deluxe bundle features a download code for the digital version of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.
- The Skylanders SWAP Force Wii U bundle, launching Nov. 15, also joins the list, and includes everything needed to start the new adventure, plus an assortment of Skylanders extras that will satisfy current fans and newcomers alike. The bundle comes with a white Wii U Basic Set, a Skylanders SWAP Force starter pack that includes three Skylanders figures, a Portal of Power, trading cards, Skylanders sticker sheets, a collector poster and a Nintendo Land game disc.
- Some top third-party Wii U games for the holiday season include Sonic Lost World from SEGA (exclusive), Rayman Legends and Just Dance 2014 from Ubisoft, Disney Infinity from Disney Interactive, Skylanders SWAP Force and Call of Duty: Ghosts from Activision, and Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (exclusive).
*September had an additional reporting week compared to October. **Data regarding physical sales of games in October are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo's internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.
TM IOC/SOCHI2014/USOC 36USC220506. Copyright © 2013 International Olympic Committee ("IOC"). All rights reserved. SUPER MARIO characters © NINTENDO. Trademarks are property of their respective owners. Wii U is a trademark of Nintendo. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG characters © SEGA. SEGA, the SEGA logo and Sonic The Hedgehog are either registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation.
LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER: THE CHASE BEGINS software © 2013 TT Games Publishing Ltd. Produced by TT Games under license from the LEGO Group. LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Brick and the Knob configurations and the Minifigure are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2013 The LEGO Group. Nintendo 3DS is a trademark of Nintendo. © 2013 Nintendo.
For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
These are the Star Wars Games you're looking for
Become one with the Force as we give you a list of our favorite Star Wars-themed games.