The Switch simply can’t get enough quality indie games! The latest and possibly greatest to make its way to Nintendo’s console is the hilariously dark adventure game, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. While not as well known as Shovel Knight or other indie titles, the fourth entry in this cult-indie series has been attracting fans and scoring universal praise within its small indie circle since 2016.
The game, a product of Japanese indie studio Bombservice, is a Metroidvania title, like all indie greats these days, and stars a priestess out to prevent her village from being overtaken by ever encroaching evil.
Sounds awesome. No release date, but it’s another title we’ll toss into our ever-growing backlog on the Switch.
Unlike most indie games on the Switch, which I’ve been shamelessly double-dipping into, I haven’t played Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight or any game in the series just yet, but it’s been available on Steam since 2016, where it enjoys a 10/10 Overwhelmingly Positive rating, and the Xbox One and PS4 since 2017.
Fans feared it wouldn’t be able to come to the Switch with the creator saying that it would have to be remade from the ground up… but here it is, a press release!
Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight takes the player on a journey through a cursed land on the brink of eradication. Evil spreads, the dead rise, and corruption reigns. Hope is but a faded memory for all but one: a priestess named Kaho from the village of Lun. If only Kaho could somehow gain audience with the Queen, Her Majesty could surely be convinced to lend her power to help save the land and its inhabitants from certain doom―but time is short, and each coming night falls darker than the last…
Reverie Under The Moonlight is the fourth installment in the Momodora series of side-scrolling action platformers, featuring melee combos, dodge mechanics, and a plethora of items and spells to unleash upon your enemies. Play casually to fully take in and enjoy the rich setting and engaging, mysterious story, or crank up the difficulty to run your reflexes through a truly brutal gauntlet.
- Beautifully animated graphics.
- Exciting action gameplay: pull off impressive combos, dodge attacks, and skewer enemies with arrows.
- Intense boss battles with challenging patterns and epic scale.
- Difficulty settings appropriate for all types of players―from story and setting lovers to hardcore action enthusiasts.
- A breadth of items that can be combined to facilitate new strategies.
- An amazingly diverse world to explore, filled with secrets and treasures.
- Eccentric allies and foes with compelling personalities.
- Mysterious lore and rich backstory woven into events, dialogue, and item descriptions.