Iron Galaxy, the developer of Divekick and the second and third seasons of Killer Instinct, has partnered up with publisher Maximum Games for a brand new AAA action title called Extinction. The game is described as a “fast-paced action game,” and it will be released for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in early 2018.
As far back as anyone can remember, humanity has been at war with itself. For generations, kingdoms have fought amongst themselves while the real threat loomed in the distance. Only those trained in the ways of the ancient order stand a chance at defeating the 150-foot-tall ogres and the armies that trail in their wake. You are one of the world’s last Sentinels, a soldier named Avil, equipped with the skills to battle the endless waves of Ravenii.
In Extinction, you’ll fight massive ogres and their minions across a sprawling countryside, defending cities and rescuing native villagers torn from their homes. Swiftly define your strategy as hordes attack from the ground and air. Use the dynamic skill-based combat system to tactically disarm and dismember enemies before going in for the kill.
- Deep Story Campaign. Protect the human population across an abundant story campaign, rescuing as many civilians as possible and taking down brutal opponents.
- Dynamic Side Missions. Complete numerous side missions with various objectives, earning upgrades to aid you in your campaign.
- Skill-Based Combat. Travel horizontally and vertically, perform wall runs, and use your whip as a vault to perform devastating air assaults. Master dynamic combat maneuvers to effectively traverse the giant beasts and expose their weak points, progressing along different skill trees to develop a path best suited to your playstyle.
- Interactive Environment. Move freely around a fully destructible environment, and use objects throughout the world to your strategic advantage.
- Innumerable Battle Scenarios. Every battlefield is different from the last, ensuring a unique combat situation each time you play.
- Custom Battles. Create custom battlegrounds with varied objectives, and challenge players online to compete for the top score.
- Extinction Mode. Fight off a continuous horde of assailants as wave after wave of ogres and their minions attack without relent.
When Dragon Quest Heroes met Attack on Titan
The teaser trailer did not show off any gameplay, but we’re assuming it’s in the vein of God of War and the Western style of hack ‘n’ slash. As for the CG style, it looks like a weird blend of Dragon Quest Heroes meets Attack on Titan with a very Western art style. It’s strange, but also awkwardly attractive.
Iron Galaxy has been limited to only the fighting genre during its existence, so this is its chance to break away to build its own rules and lore. Now we really get to see what makes the studio tick.
The screenshots don’t show much gameplay either, so we’ll probably have to wait until E3 2017 to see more.
Extinction will be released for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in early 2018.