Given the importance of Avengers: Endgame, Marvel has kept quiet about its plans for Phase 4, but make no mistake, the next several years will span many movies and new characters.
What comes after the Avengers: Endgame?
The immediate aftermath of Avengers: Endgame directly leads to Spider-Man: Far From Home. The movie will mark the official end to Phase 3.
It will be similar to how Phase 2 ended. Avengers: Age of Ultron was the marquee movie that set all the pieces in place, but Ant-Man was the final movie of the phase before Captain America: Civil War kicked off Phase 3. Spider-Man: Far From Home will help set a hopeful tone for the MCU's future, unlike how Endgame ended with the funeral of Tony Stark.
What does the release schedule look like?
Right after Avengers: Endgame came out, Disney gave a sneak peek at its Marvel movie roadmap. The schedule leads all the way until 2022, so we'll be covered with MCU movies for years to come.
Here's how the schedule breaks down, as announced at San Diego Comic-Con 2019. Notice there are some dates that don't have official releases:
- Black Widow - May 1, 2020
- The Eternals - November 6, 2020
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - February 12, 2021
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 7, 2021
- Thor: Love and Thunder - November 5, 2021
- Untitled Marvel movie - February 18, 2022
- Untitled Marvel movie - May 6, 2022
- Untitled Marvel movie - July 29, 2022
In total, there will be eight movies over the next three years.
What movies will be in Phase 4?
At San Diego Comic-con 2019, Marvel finally gave fans a glimpse of what's coming in Phase 4 of the MCU. Much of it, to nobody's surprise, will include a lot of new characters.
The two films that are coming out in the near future are Black Widow and The Eternals. The former will focus on Black Widow in between the time of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War, while the latter will explore a whole new cosmic branch of the MCU.
Black Widow and The Eternals are the next two MCU movies
Black Widow already has Scarlett Johansson, Rachel Weisz and David Harbour attached, while The Eternals will feature Angelina Jolie and Richard Madden.
After those two movies, Phase 4 will then include three films in 2021. After that, Marvel confirmed that we'll get sequels to Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel also teased the arrival of the Fantastic Four and X-Men.
The sequel we know most about is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, because it was originally set to come out in 2020. Director James Gunn was fired by Disney in July 2018, causing the project to be delayed indefinitely from its original May 2020 release. Eventually (and thankfully) Marvel had a change of heart and re-hired James Gunn, and the project is now ready to begin production in 2020. The entire cast, including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista, are set to reprise their roles.
Marvel's first two phases of the MCU included about six movies, while the third phase doubled that. So far, Phase 4 includes five films, though Marvel may expand it at a later date. Again, we know Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Blade, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 are all coming at some point, so any one of them could be added to Phase 4 in the future.
What about the MCU TV Shows?
Unlike the first three phases, Phase 4 will introduce something we've never seen before: TV shows focusing on major MCU characters. Technically the Netflix Marvel series lived in the MCU world, but not like this.
With the launch of Disney+, Disney's new streaming service, Marvel is working on creating TV shows that will focus on major MCU characters like Loki and Hawkeye. Disney has already confirmed some details for the upcoming shows.
- Falcon and Winter Soldier - Fall 2020 This live-action series is the only one Disney mentioned during the launch of Disney+. It will focus on the two Captain America friends.
- WandaVision - Spring 2021 This series will focus on the relationship between Wanda Maximoff (aka Scarlet Witch) and Vision. According to Elizabeth Olsen, the series will take place in the 1950s.
- Loki - Spring 2021 This series will squarely focus on the god of mischief. He is dead in the main MCU timeline, buy if you remember, he managed to escape in the 2012 timeline with the Tesseract during Endgame.
- What If...? - Summer 2021 Marvel Studios' What If…?, the first animated series in the MCU, will star Jeffrey Wright as the voice of The Watcher -- many actors from across the MCU will reprise their roles as voice talent. What If…? will present alternate realities in the Marvel Universe that are set to warp your world
- Hawkeye - Fall 2021 This Hawkeye series will see Clint Barton hand off the mantle of Hawkeye to Kate Bishop.
The future of the MCU beyond 2022
This is where it becomes guessing game. We are only just finding out details about a post-Avengers: Endgame roadmap. That means there is absolutely zero news about what lies beyond 2022, although we have a pretty good idea.
2022 could see Phase 5 and the possible establishment of a new major tentpole crossover similar to how the Avengers movies were to the first three phases of the MCU. It's not clear if Marvel will still build up a new Avengers team; it could go in another direction.
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. There's plenty to look forward to if you're a Marvel fan, so just sit back and enjoy the ride.
- Everything Marvel announced at San Diego Comic-Con 2019
- Marvel confirms Fantastic Four and X-Men coming to the MCU
- Everything you need to know about Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Everything you need to know about Black Widow standalone movie
- Everything you need to know about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Pixel 4 hands-on videos reveal all, including new 'Screen attention' mode
The Pixel 4 leaks continue to be fierce. Most recently, three hands-on videos showcasing the Pixel 4 in all of its glory have been uploaded to YouTube.
Build Hogwarts and more with these LEGO Harry Potter sets
Cast a spell and piece together these LEGO Harry Potter sets, which beautifully recreate the exciting and mysterious wizarding world of Harry Potter.