Fans of Mario Kart are probably wondering what’s new in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a game Nintendo is calling the “definitive version” of the popular racer. Well, the Japanese video game company this week released a new overview trailer, which details everything fans can expect from the game when it hits stores on April 28.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will come with everything from Mario Kart 8, including the DLC, along with several new characters, features, and game modes. In addition to Link and Isabelle, the game will also feature Splatoon’s Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr. The Splatoon characters will feature their own custom karts, too.
In total, there will be 42 characters and 48 tracks—enough to keep even the most die-hard Mario Kart player busy. Once you master the main game, Nintendo wants players to give the new battle modes a shot, which have been revamped in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Here are the different battle modes, many of which are from previous Mario Kart games
- Balloon Battle: Pop the balloon of your foes and be the last man standing.
- Renegade Roundup: New to Mario Kart, Renegade Roundup sees one team try to put members of the other in jail before time runs out.
- Bob-omb Blast: A returning mode that tasks players with surviving in an arena where the only items are bombs.
- Coin Runners: Whoever collects the most coins wins!
- Shine Thief: Steal the Shine Sprite and hold onto it for 20 seconds.
Other features coming to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe include the ability to hold two items at once, steer assist for beginners, and braking while drifting, which should come in handy when playing 200cc.
Nintendo’s overview video provides a great breakdown of what to expect, so check it out above. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be released on April 28.