Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has been patched to version 1.2, and Nintendo released concise patch notes indicating what was fixed, tweaked and changed with the update. Yes, you read that right, actual, detailed patch notes from the same company that routinely sticks to vague terms.
One of the chief changes to actual gameplay? “Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.”
Nintendo’s made it so that those at the back of the pack will get items that are better suited to actually catching up in the race in online play. Instead of items that are great at hurting nearby racers, like three red shells, players will get items that actually bring them closer to the front of the race. Think mushrooms and Bullet Bills.
This should make online play a more pleasant experience. Here’s the full list of patch notes for version 1.2 of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
- Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.