Sony is going to need a spiny shell at this point to catch up at this pace! Japanese research firm MediaCreates once again says that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has topped the best-selling video games list in Japan for the third week in a row, pushing the Nintendo Switch into the number 1 spot for hardware as well.
Japan loves it some Mario Kart, but it’s also worth noting that Prey did quite well for itself too, opening in the number 5 spot. Western games, gotta love ’em.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — Switch — 28,781 / 440,696
- Monster Hunter XX – 3DS — 12,643 / 1,479,189
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Switch — 10,849 / 465,631
- Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X – 3DS — 7,470 / 146,408
- Prey – PS4 — 7,105 / New
- NieR: Automata – PS4 — 4,740 / 330,293
- Fire Emblem Echoes:Shadows of Valentia – 3DS — 4,400 / 179,268
- Danganronpa 1-2 Reload – PS4 — 3,880 / New
- Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition – PS4 — 3,302 / 55,979
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Wii U — 3,286 / 122,993
- Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death – 3DS — 3,238 / 11,837
- Pokémon Sun/Moon – 3DS — 3,043 / 3,262,880
- 1-2-Switch – Switch — 2,937 / 211,793
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 3DS — 2,905 / 178,852
- Mario Sports Superstars – 3DS — 2,865 / 92,829
- Grand Theft Auto V (4,990 Yen Edition) – PS4 — 2,863 / 336,943
- Super Mario Maker – 3DS — 2,774 / 1,041,237
- Pro Yakyuu Famista Climax – 3DS — 2,753 / 76,436
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands — PS4 — 2,468 / 180,413
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – PS4 — 2,426 / 194,471
And as for hardware
- Switch – 26,114
- New 3DS XL – 13,922
- PS4 – 12,325
- PS4 Pro – 4,989
- PS Vita – 4,088
- 2DS – 2,732
- New 3DS – 1,406
- PS3 – 327
- Wii U – 184
- Xbox One – 103
Nintendo is doing will for itself in its home country
There’s still a long way o go until we can determine if the Switch is successful in the long run or just a fad. In Japan, at any rate, it needs a Mario, Pokémon, and Monster Hunter game before I’m willing to make any definite calls. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe shows that Nintendo’s most consistent franchise has found its audience at least, so the chances are there that this success could have some legs.
Splatoon was also a bigger hit in Japan than it was in the States, so we’ll see how far it pushes Nintendo as well.
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Pixel 4 hands-on videos reveal all, including new 'Screen attention' mode
The Pixel 4 leaks continue to be fierce. Most recently, three hands-on videos showcasing the Pixel 4 in all of its glory have been uploaded to YouTube.
Break open a Loot Llama to find these gifts for Fortnite fans
Get your fortnite loving friends and family these awesome gifts. They will love you and emote for you. If you don't what that means, ask them and they'll show you.