Microsoft on Wednesday introduced a new Insider Preview for Windows 10, with updates to the Start menu, Continuum tablet mode and Microsoft Edge. The Redmond company has been consistently rolling out fresh updates over the past several months to keep insiders in the loop, and with a summer release on the cards, we should be getting down to the wire.
For Edge, Microsoft says the newest build will feature the New Tab Page that was shown off at Build in April; this page features an improved layout, including top sites, featured apps, and more content from MSN. So, essentially, it’s like Google’s long forgotten (but beloved) iGoogle personalized homepage, which was eventually discontinued in 2013.
Additionally, the new version of Edge features a private mode, the ability to pin websites to Start, history view and a new Reading View icon. Pretty much everything you’d expect from a modern day browser, slowly but surely rolling out as Microsoft continues to refine and make improvements. It’s worth noting that users with an AMD GPU will run into frequent crashes with the newest update, so beware.
The latest Insider Preview also includes Start and Continuum improvements, which were also shown off at Build in April; for the Start menu, the visual layout has been tweaked slightly, while Continuum has been updated to better fit with Tablet mode.
And finally, Microsoft added the ability to change default apps, and also made some tweaks to the Insider Hub, which has been redesigned to better fit with the look and feel of Windows 10.
You can see a full list of fixes and issue for the latest build below. And if you want to see a recent build of Windows 10 in action, you can check out our hands on here.
Here are some issues we have fixed
Here are some known issues for this build
- We have fixed the visual glitch (“rectangle slivers”) that appears on Live Tiles on the Start menu with the new tile animation. In general, performance of the Start menu should be better in this build.
- We believe we have fixed a lot of the crashes with Microsoft Edge (Project Spartan) reported by Windows Insiders.
- Developers – when you go to Settings > Update & Security > For developers – it no longer crashes the Settings app.
- We fixed the issue some people were seeing where their graphics driver fails to install from Windows Update with error code 80070103. This was happening because WU was trying to re-issue the driver.
- You should now be able to edit the IPv4 properties of an Ethernet adapter on your PC.
- We have fixed issues where fonts would render blurry on High DPI displays. We’re cooking up a blog post we plan to publish shortly that talks a little more in depth about our investment with High DPI in Windows 10 so watch for it.
- We have fixed some keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft Edge. Control + L or Alt + D shortcuts now got to the URL bar more reliably.
See my note above regarding the issue on PCs with AMD GPUs and frequent crashes in Microsoft Edge.
Upgrading to this build on certain PCs may fail and roll back to the previously installed build with error 0x80070057 – 0x20007. This is a bug where too many device INFs are being migrated and hitting an internal limit. Possible workaround is to use Disk Cleanup to clean up system files and choose Device driver packages, Previous Windows installations and Temporary Windows installation files. You may also need to remove unnecessary peripherals and remove them from Device Manager and trying the upgrade again.
In this build there is a bug that may cause issues with Cortana speech. If you are experiencing problems with speech recognition, or are getting errors when trying to speak to Cortana, please visit this thread on the Windows Insider Program forum for assistance in recovering from this bug.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
You don't have to be a size 2 to rock these gorgeous swimsuits!
Tired of finding the perfect swimsuit only to see that it's only offered up to size 14? Not anymore! Here's a list of the most flattering, gorgeous plus size swimsuits 2020 has to offer.