Hitting the slopes or warmer locales for a winter vacation? Here’s a tip: Don’t forget to consider how extreme temperatures — on either side of the spectrum — can damage your phone. They can even void the warranty. In icy-cold temps, these handsets are designed to shut off automatically, and when the heat reaches scorching levels, it can permanently wreck the battery.
So how do you know how much heat or cold your device can take? Well, the thresholds for the two most popular handsets — the iPhone (4 through 5) and Samsung Galaxy S III — are outlined in their environmental guidelines, so just follow these ranges to protect your phone and prolong its lifespan and battery.
- Operating temp: 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit
- Storing temp (turned off): -4 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit
- Humidity: 5 to 95 percent, non-condensing
- Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
- Consider using bluetooth earpieces or earbuds to place urgent calls, instead of taking your phone out of your pocket in cold weather.
- Don’t leave your phone in the car, not even the glove box. Not only could it get broken into, but temps often run very hot or cold, depending on the climate.
- Don’t leave your phone baking in direct sunlight, or use them for heavy duty tasks while in direct sunlight, like navigation or playing a processor-/graphics-intensive game.
Got any other advice for safeguarding those smartphones this winter? Share them in the comments below.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Bed bugs are no match for these protective mattress covers
You can keep bed bugs away from your mattress with the help of a protective cover. These lightweight, waterproof barriers layer over your mattress to repel not only bed bugs, but dust mites, allergens, moisture, and more. Do yourself a favor and prep your mattress with one of these fine encasements.