Apple on Saturday released iOS 11.2 just hours after issuing the sixth beta to developers. It’s an unusual time for the Cupertino company to release new software, as the company typically pushes updates out early in the week.
The update introduces a myriad of new features, including support for faster wireless charging (iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X only) and Apple Pay Cash, the latter of which is the company’s peer-to-peer payment service. If you use a service like Square Cash, Apple is hoping you’ll transition to its service, which is built into iMessage and utilizes Apple Wallet.
Crucially, iOS 11.2 fixes a bug that popped up early Saturday morning that caused iPhones to endlessly crash on December 2 if a third-party app used recurring notifications (for things like reminders, etc.). You can temporarily fix the issue by turning off notifications altogether or set the date back to before December 2.
Apple seemingly saw the severity of the issue, which is likely why we’re seeing iOS 11.2 being rushed out. The newly discovered bug hits the same week that saw a security researcher discover a huge flaw in macOS High Sierra, which Apple has already patched.
At the time the fix for High Sierra was released, Apple almost seemed embarrassed about the situation, saying “Our customers deserve better.”
You can download iOS 11.2 now. Below is a running list of changes:
- iOS 11.2 introduces Apple Pay Cash to send, request and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website.
- Other improvements and fixes:
- Adds support for faster wireless charging on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X with compatible third-party accessories.
- Introduces three new Live wallpapers for iPhone X.
- Improves video camera stabilization.
- Adds support in Podcasts to automatically advance to the next episode from the same show.
- Adds support in HealthKit for downhill snow sports distance as a data type.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to appear to be checking for new messages even when a download is complete.
- Fixes an issue that could cause cleared Mail notifications from Exchange accounts to reappear.
- Improves stability in Calendar.
- Resolves an issue where Settings could open to a blank screen.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent swiping to Today View or Camera from the Lock Screen.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Music controls from displaying on the Lock Screen.
- Fixes an issue that could cause app icons to be arranged incorrectly on the Home Screen.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent users from deleting recent photos when iCloud storage is exceeded.
- Addresses an issue where Find My iPhone sometimes wouldn’t display a map.
- Fixes an issue in Messages where the keyboard could overlap the most recent message.
- Fixes an issue in Calculator where typing numbers rapidly could lead to incorrect results.
- Addressed an issue where the keyboard could respond slowly.
- Adds support for real-time text (RTT) phone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing.
- Improves VoiceOver stability in Messages, Settings, App Store and Music.
- Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from announcing incoming Notifications.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Make your foliage a feature with the best plant stands
Really show off your home's foliage with a plant stand that makes your greenery a statement, rather than just background noise. We've found a dozen desirable plant stand solutions to suit all types of spaces, all styles of decor and all kinds of plants.