It would seem that anything is possible with some firmware tweaks, but the kind of tweaks that increase a devices battery life by up to 85% are almost unheard of. If you own a second or third generation kindle, your device with automatically update using Amazon's whispernet service. Unfortunately, if you're the owner of an original Kindle, you're out of luck. To find out more about the new features, check out the Amazon announcement.
However, if you're not the waiting type, you can quickly and easily install the new update yourself. Just follow these steps:
If you have a software version prior to 2.3, you can download the latest Kindle software update to your computer and transfer it to your Kindle via USB. Here's how:
- Visit Amazon.com and make sure you're logged into the Amazon.com account to which your Kindle is registered.
- Visit the appropriate link below to download the Kindle software update file directly to your computer:
- Turn your Kindle on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable.
- Use your computer's file browser to copy the update file from your computer to the Kindle root directory. (The root directory contains a number of folders — such as "audibles," "documents," and "music" — and is typically denoted by a "device" icon).
- Check your file browser's file transfer progress bar to ensure that file transfer to your Kindle is complete. When you're confident the file has transferred successfully, you can use your computer's unmount or eject function to safely disconnect Kindle from your computer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from Kindle and your computer.
- Go to the Home screen, press the Menu key, and select "Settings."
- Press the Menu key again, and then select "Update Your Kindle." (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed.)
- Select "Ok" when prompted if you want to perform an update.
At this point, your Kindle will take around seven minutes to complete the update process, after which it will restart.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Grind your coffee beans to perfection with a great burr grinder
Burr grinders are prized for their even, consistent grind. We will help you choose the best of the bunch.