Though perhaps a bit premature, Facebook has just published its "Most Shared Articles" for 2011. (Really? The year's not even over yet…)
So what can we learn from this list of 40 articles that have set the social webs abuzz? Well, maybe that the death of traditional media outlets has been greatly exaggerated, considering that CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times all loom large here. And that people have as much desire for the ridiculous as they do the "hard news."
Sadly TechnoBuffalo isn't on this list, but there's always next year. (Alert: Shameless plug ahead.) Speaking of which, be sure to follow us on Facebook here!
Now, on to the list…
Facebook'sMost Shared Articles of 2011
1. Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami (New York Times)
3. No, your zodiac sign hasn't changed (CNN)
5. (video) – Father Daughter Dance Medley (Yahoo)
10. New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign? (The Huffington Post)
11. Parents keep child's gender under wraps (Yahoo)
12. How to Talk to Little Girls (The Huffington Post)
13. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich (New York Times)
14. Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior (Wall Street Journal)
15. (video) – Twin Baby Boys Have A Conversation! (Yahoo)
16. Man robs bank to get medical care in jail (Yahoo)
17. Why You're Not Married (The Huffington Post)
18. A Sister's Eulogy for Steve Jobs (New York Times)
19. Ryan Dunn Dead: 'Jackass' Star Dies In Car Crash (The Huffington Post)
21. Notes From a Dragon Mom (New York Times)
22. A Message to Women From a Man: You Are Not "Crazy" (The Huffington Post)
23. Obama's and Bush's effects on the deficit in one graph (Washington Post)
24. Penn State, my final loss of faith (Washington Post)
25. Golden-Voiced Homeless Man Captivates Internet (Yahoo)
26. The most typical face on the planet (Yahoo)
28. Permissive parents: Curb your brats (CNN)
30. (video) – Laughing Baby Loves Ripping Paper! (Yahoo)
31. Epic Cover Letter: How To Get Hired For Your Dream Job (PICTURE) (The Huffington Post)
32. New Zodiac sign dates: Don't switch horoscopes yet (Washington Post)
33. Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know (Yahoo)
34. The Psychology of Revenge: Why We Should Stop Celebrating Osama Bin Laden's Death (The Huffington Post)
35. (photo gallery) – 'Where Children Sleep' (New York Times)
37. Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies (CNN)
39. Grant Hill's Response to Jalen Rose (New York Times)
40. Steve Jobs's Patents (New York Times)
Did your favorite stories of the year make the list? If not, tell us which ones were overlooked, but deserved to be here.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Add magic to your living space with these string lights
String lights add personality and soft light to your living space. Here are some of the best.
Disguise your little one with the help of a themed costume
From avocado halves to hoppy bunnies, costumes speak to every child's unique spirit. And we've collected our favorite options.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Set up your playing field with a one-of-a-kind chessboard
These chessboards don’t come with playing pieces, so they are great for replacing an old board, displaying a fun chess piece set, or just to have a spare on hand. Here are our top picks.