Thursday, Dropcam announced a new version of its popular Wi-Fi video camera. Dubbed the Dropcam Pro, the new camera doubles the video sharpness, increases the field of view to 130 degrees (vs. 107 degrees in the Dropcam), 8x zoom, Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz), better low light vision and improved audio quality.
We reviewed the Dropcam a couple months ago and absolutely loved how easy it was to set up, how clear the video played and how easy it was to use. Along with those improved specs, the set-up can now be done via mobile devices (rather than just on a computer) using the built-in Bluetooth LE radio. We’re excited to see what the new Dropcam has, especially with all these claimed improvements.
The Dropcam Pro is shipping now on the company website or Amazon for $199.99.
Dropcam Continues Leadership in the Home Video Monitoring Market with the Introduction of Dropcam Pro
Completely Re-engineered Camera Includes Bluetooth LE, Making it the Ideal Hub for the Emerging Connected Home
SAN FRANCISCO – October 10, 2013 – Dropcam, Inc., makers of the leading Wi-Fi video monitoring camera and cloud service, today launched Dropcam Pro, again redefining home video monitoring and do-it-yourself security. Dropcam Pro, the company’s next-generation product, delivers unmatched video performance, premium audio quality, better wireless connectivity, fast mobile setup and more. Dropcam Pro also incorporates Bluetooth low energy (BLE) for connecting to sensors and other devices in the home, positioning it as an ideal hub for the connected home.
Dropcam Pro and Dropcam (formerly Dropcam HD), are the only Wi-Fi video monitoring solutions that offer truly simple and fast setup with intelligent monitoring features to drop in on the places and people you care about from anywhere in the world. In addition to the great features Dropcam customers have come to appreciate, Dropcam Pro sets a new benchmark in home video monitoring with the following key advancements:
- Stunning video quality. Dropcam Pro incorporates a six-element, all-glass lens, a first in the home monitoring category, and a larger image sensor to provide 2x sharper video during the day and 7x better performance in low-light conditions and at night.
- Wider field of view. Dropcam Pro supports an amazing 130-degree field of view – 20% wider than the prior-generation Dropcam.
- Zoom. Dropcam now offers pinch-to-zoom with an enhance feature that supports up to 8x zoom for Dropcam Pro and 4x zoom for Dropcam.
- Better audio. Dropcam Pro has a new microphone with double the sampling rate and a new speaker for sound that’s louder and clearer.
- Mobile setup. Get up and running without a computer. You can now set up Dropcam Pro directly from your iOS device (iPhone 4S or later, iPad 3rd generation or later, and iPad mini).
- Dual band Wi-Fi. Dropcam Pro supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks for improved wireless connectivity.
- Activity Recognition (beta). Using advanced computer vision and machine learning technology, Dropcam Cloud Recording can now recognize motion patterns in your video stream and group together like activities. Customers can name these activities and customize alerts for them.
- Bluetooth LE. Dropcam Pro integrates a low power Bluetooth LE radio that is used for mobile setup and allows Dropcam to integrate with additional devices.
“At its core, Dropcam is a software and services company. That means Dropcam gets better over time with hassle-free automatic updates to the camera, cloud service, and apps,” said Greg Duffy, Dropcam CEO and co-founder. “With features like zoom and enhance, Dropcam Pro is an amazing camera today, and it will be even better tomorrow as we shape it into the ideal hub for consumers to see, sense, and control other devices in their home.”
Dropcam utilizes bank-level security to encrypt all video streams so customers can rest assured that no one but them can access their video. Dropcam Pro and Dropcam include full 720p streaming, motion and sound activity alerts, night vision, two-way talk, and pinch-to-zoom. With the optional Cloud Video Recording service, customers can access stored footage for the past seven or thirty days.
Pricing & Availability
Dropcam Pro retails for $199 while Dropcam (formerly Dropcam HD) continues at $149. Both cameras are available today at Amazon.com and Dropcam.com with other retailers coming soon.
Live video monitoring is always free. Optional Cloud Video Recording (CVR) plans are $9.95/month for seven days of continuous recording, $29.95/month for thirty days. Discounts are available for annual subscriptions and multiple cameras.
About Dropcam, Inc.
Dropcam is revolutionizing the way people stay connected to the places they care about. With Dropcam’s Wi-Fi video monitoring cameras and optional Cloud Recording you can remotely drop in on your house, baby, pets, business, or anything else from a smartphone, tablet, or computer. The San Francisco based company was founded in 2009 by Greg Duffy and Aamir Virani. To learn more, visit www.dropcam.com.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Add magic to your living space with these string lights
String lights add personality and soft light to your living space. Here are some of the best.
Disguise your little one with the help of a themed costume
From avocado halves to hoppy bunnies, costumes speak to every child's unique spirit. And we've collected our favorite options.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Keep your camera safe and organized with our favorite camera backpacks
Having a good camera bag for your equipment can be the difference between having everything you need and missing out on the perfect shot.