DIRECTV announced a new DVR Thursday that claims to be the "Industry's most advanced HD DVR." While we haven't yet tested out the new DVR yet DIRECTV, I will say the specs are pretty impressive. As I have complained about my poor cable TV experiences I'm always a bit jealous of a DVR capable of recording more than two shows a time.
DIRECTV Genie's 1 TB DVR records up to 5 HD shows at a time (200 HD or 800 SD hours), watch two channels at a time, and can service an entire household with one DVR. If your TV is RVU-enabled you won't need a separate set-top box to play content off your DVR.
Genie is available as a free upgrade for new subscribers and is available today. Check out the press release below for more information.
Additional pricing information Updated:
Jon Gieselman, Senior Vice President of Marketing at DIRECTV says "Currently, for new DirecTV subscribers, the Genie and as many as four Genie Minis are free, but there's an 'advanced receiver service' fee of $20 per month that is required when taking on all the equipment. The $20 fee can be cut to $10 a month if a subscriber has auto bill pay set up on their account."
DIRECTV Grants Endless Wishes with the Industry's Most Advanced HD DVR
The New DIRECTV Genie™ Records Five Shows at Once, Eliminates Need for Receivers in Every Room, Automatically Recommends Shows Matching Viewers' Tastes and So Much More
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Oct. 11, 2012 – DIRECTV is granting TV viewers their ultimate wish – the industry's most advanced and intuitive HD DVR, the new DIRECTV Genie™ – enabling a whole new suite of magical TV viewing capabilities.
The DIRECTV Genie delivers an innovative set of features that include the ability to record five shows in HD at one time; up to three times more HD recording capacity than cable HD DVRs; a full HD DVR experience on every TV in the home without seeing a box in each and every room; and a new opt-in feature that will automatically recommend shows based on the viewer's taste.
DIRECTV Genie™ is now the entertainment hub for the entire home and shares content seamlessly with additional TVs that are connected to small DIRECTV clients or other connected devices (such as RVU-enabled TVs, gaming consoles and Blu-ray players) from a single HD DVR.
"We simply asked consumers what they wished for in the perfect television experience and then set out to develop as many of those features as possible in our new flagship HD DVR. Given all that Genie can do, we expect our customers
to be extremely impressed with this next generation experience," said Romulo Pontual, executive vice president and CTO of DIRECTV. "Gone are the days of
scheduling conflicts, channel surfing, messy wires and boxes, missed shows and family fights over the remote. DIRECTV Genie's massive hard drive, five tuners and its sophisticated, intuitive search and discovery functionality creates a simple and magical television experience without the need for receivers in every room."
Benefits and features of the DIRECTV Genie™ include:
- Record five programs at the same time with one Genie HD DVR.
Full HD DVR Functionality – in every connected room
- Pause and rewind live TV in every room
- Record and delete shows in every room
- Watch the same recorded show on multiple TV's simultaneously (up to four at a time)
- View and record DIRECTV On Demand programs in every room
- DIRECTV customers can opt-in and have their DIRECTV Genie recommend and store new shows that match their TV preferences
- One receiver serves the entire home, so DVR service can be enjoyed on every TV, without the need for a DVR at each TV
- Connect up to eight RVU-enabled TVs to a single Genie
- Search and schedule recordings up to two weeks in advance
- Watch, pause, rewind, fast-forward on two channels at the same time
- Start programs at the beginning if you tune in late
- Catch up on past episodes, as far back as five weeks
DIRECTV TV Apps
- Access DIRECTV TV Apps on the Genie including Pandora, ScoreGuide, Facebook, Twitter and other general apps such as news, sports and weather
One terabyte of storage
- Store up to 200 hours of HD programming
- With 800 hours of SD storage, you can record more than 1,500 shows
Beginning today, new qualified customers can get a free upgrade to Genie, as well as connect up to four rooms. In addition, new customers who order the CHOICE™ Package and above will get 2012 NFL SUNDAY TICKET included at no extra charge and three free months of premium channels. For more information on DIRECTV Genie™, please visit DIRECTV.com/Genie.