The ESA released a report about the gaming industry at large in 2016. You can read the whole thing by hitting the source link at the base of this post. It’s comprised of infographics and easily digestible.
One super interesting section that VG247 picked up on is the one about digital game sales versus physical game sales. In the U.S., the gap is really wide with digital sales accounting for 74 percent of the action and physical taking up the remaining 26 percent.
Read the fine print…
While there’s no doubt that digital game sales are doing well, the fine print indicates that this covers all mobile apps (which are digital only), subscriptions, downloadable content and microtransactions. Heck, I’ve paid for Overwatch loot boxes and those count in this statistic.
As the mobile world and games-as-a-service continue, this gap is only going to get wider. That’s not to say that physical will be 100 percent dead in the next year, but… I don’t think that’s far off. The cost to produce cartridges and discs gets in the way of profit, and it looks like consumers are easing into that all digital future.
Me? I’m afraid of what happens when companies decide they don’t want to support my games as they age. I don’t mind digital. I mind the idea of not being able to play a digital game in 10 years because some company decides to flip a switch.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Break open a Loot Llama to find these gifts for Fortnite fans
Get your fortnite loving friends and family these awesome gifts. They will love you and emote for you. If you don't what that means, ask them and they'll show you.