Dell on Monday announced that it plans to acquire Quest Software for $2.4 billion. Quest Software is best known for its IT applications that are focused on system management, data protection, security, and workspace management. Dell plans to integrate the firm, which currently has more than 100,000 customers around the globe and 3,850 employees, within its newly created Software Group. "The addition of Quest will enable Dell to deliver more competitive server, storage, networking and end user computing solutions and services to customers," said John Swainson, president, Dell Software Group. Dell said it plans to close the deal during the third fiscal quarter of this year.
Dell to Acquire Quest Software
- Award-winning Quest bolsters Dell competitive position in delivering end-to-end IT solutions.
- Strong strategic fit with Dell's software group; extends existing capabilities in systems management, security, data protection and workspace management.
ROUND ROCK, Texas & ALISO VIEJO, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Dell and Quest Software today announced they have entered into a definitive agreement for Dell to acquire Quest, an award-winning IT management software provider offering a broad selection of solutions that solve the most common and most challenging IT problems.
"Quest's suite of industry-leading software products, highly-talented team members and unique intellectual property will position us well in the largest and fastest growing areas of the software industry. We intend to build upon the strong momentum Quest brings to Dell."
Dell recently announced the formation of its Software Group to build upon its existing software expertise. The Dell Software Group will add to Dell's enterprise solutions capability, accelerate strategic growth and further differentiate the company from competitors by increasing its solutions portfolio with Dell-owned intellectual property.
Quest's family of software solutions and key technologies are strongly aligned with Dell's software strategy. The acquisition provides critical components to expand Dell's software capabilities in systems management, security, data protection and workspace management. In addition, Quest's software portfolio is highly complementary to Dell's scalable design approach to develop solutions that scale with customer needs. Some examples include:
- The Quest One Identity and Access Management solution family adds to Dell's very strong set of security assets with SonicWALL and Secureworks, creating a comprehensive set of security solutions to address important customer needs.
- Quest's Performance Monitoring solutions for applications, networks and databases address a rapidly growing need for our customers. Industry analysts have consistently ranked Quest Foglight as a leading application performance monitoring solution. Businesses of all sizes are looking to reduce their IT complexity and automate workloads for their IT departments. Customers worldwide leverage Foglight to continually monitor their IT environments, proactively identifying and remedying performance issues before they become bigger problems.
- Quest's Windows Server Management solutions complement Dell Services' rapidly growing application modernization practice with recently acquired Clerity Solutions and Make Technologies.
- Effective database management is critical to the successful operation of most organizations. Quest's Database Management capabilities offer a strong complement to Dell's enterprise offering. Today, millions of DBAs, developers, and analysts around the world rely on Quest's database management tools to simplify their work.
Quest has a diversified software portfolio and generated $857 million in global revenue based on its fiscal year 2011 results at gross margins of 86 percent and operating margins of 11 percent. Quest supports heterogeneous and next-generation virtualized environments across leading platform vendors. The addition of Quest, including its 1,500 software sales experts and 1,300 software developers, to Dell's existing software expertise in systems management, security and cloud integration, is the foundation of a $1.2 billion software business, based on annual revenue.
Quest, established in 1987, is headquartered in Aliso Viejo, Calif. and serves more than 100,000 customers worldwide, including 87 percent of the Fortune 500. The company has approximately 3,850 employees and operates 60 offices in 23 countries.
"The addition of Quest will enable Dell to deliver more competitive server, storage, networking and end user computing solutions and services to customers," said John Swainson, president, Dell Software Group. "Quest's suite of industry-leading software products, highly-talented team members and unique intellectual property will position us well in the largest and fastest growing areas of the software industry. We intend to build upon the strong momentum Quest brings to Dell."
"Clearly, Dell's distribution, reach and brand are well recognized in the industry. Combine that with Quest's software expertise and award-winning systems management products and you have a very powerful combination for our customers and partners," said Vinny Smith, chairman and chief executive officer of Quest Software. "With this transaction, Quest's products and employees become the foundation for Dell's critical software business."
A financial analyst call with Dave Johnson, senior vice president, Dell Corporate Strategy; John Swainson, president, Dell Software Group; Brian Gladden, chief financial officer, Dell; and Vinny Smith, chairman and chief executive officer, Quest Software; will be webcast live today at 8:45 a.m. Central Time and archived at www.dell.com/investor
Terms and Closing
Under terms of the agreement, approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Dell will pay $28.00 per share in cash for each share of Quest for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $2.4 billion, net of Quest's cash and debt. The transaction is expected to close in Dell's third fiscal quarter, subject to approval by Quest's shareholders and customary conditions.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.