Tuesday, Chevrolet announced that 2013 Sonic and Spark vehicles with Chevy's MyLink will be able to integrate with Siri more intelligently. Last summer, Apple announced Siri integration with automobiles and soon after GM announced that Sonic and Spark vehicles would have Siri enabled technology in early 2013.
Well "early 2013" is now, and starting today, Siri-compatible iPhone users will be able to minimize distractions and use Siri sans hands and eyes.
Included in this pairing is voice activated phone calls, media integration, listen to and send iMessage or texts to your contacts, access and add calendar appointments. No word yet on when Siri will be available on the rest of Chevy's line-up but it appears that Siri integration will be all the rage this year with many more car manufacturers on board like Hyundai and Acura/Honda on board for 2013.
DETROIT – Today, 2013 Chevrolet Sonic and Spark vehicles with Chevrolet MyLink will be available with Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps get things done just by asking.
"The Chevy Sonic and Spark are the first vehicles to offer Siri Eyes Free integration," said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet marketing director for small cars. "Safe, easy, reliable and portable connectivity is a top priority for our customers, and Siri complements MyLink's existing capabilities to help deliver an incredible driving experience."
Through the cars' standard Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system, customers with a compatible iPhone* running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of tasks while they safely keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. To further minimize distraction, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further with an Eyes Free mode which enables drivers to interact with their iPhones using nothing more than their voice while keeping the device's screen from lighting up.
Owners simply connect their iPhone with the MyLink radio via Bluetooth, pair with the system, and use the steering wheel voice activation button to begin and end sessions with Siri in Eyes Free mode.
In the 2013 Spark and Sonic vehicles equipped with MyLink, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:
- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
- Play songs in their iTunes libraries, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
- Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
- Access Calendar and add appointments
- Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
Both the Spark and the Sonic also come with six months of OnStar's premium Directions and Connectionsservice. OnStar brings added safety, security and connectivity to these vehicles, including services such as Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Vehicle Diagnostics and Roadside Assistance.
Most smartphone owners can also download the RemoteLink Mobile App, which allows OnStar subscribers to control and manage certain vehicle functions from their phone. For more information on OnStar's services, visit onstar.com
Current 2013 Chevrolet Spark and Sonic owners can upgrade existing MyLink radios for Siri capability beginning in March.
* Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd and 4th generations), iPad mini and iPod touch (5th generation), and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.