This Bitcoin conspiracy has everything: time travel, quantum computing, and terminator level AI, and craziest of all, some of it could be true.
Let me explain. I’ve been trying to understand the crypto market and in doing so have been doing daily reading on some of the most respected industry sites. I’m getting used to some crackpot theories, but what I read on Thursday was too amazing and far fetched not to share.
Let me start with a question. Does the following mean anything to you?
Probably not and quite honestly, what the heck should it? But to people who follow Bitcoin closely, this string started blowing minds.https://twitter.com/zackvoell/status/1009621173192265728?ref_src=twsrc%5...
So what is happening here? Is it a Bitcoin consipiracy? The weird string of characters above is something called block hash which is essentially just a randomly created string of numbers and letters that help keep track of each new block that that is mined via an algorithm and subsequently is added to the blockchain ledger. Still with me? Wednesday night things took a strange turn and a brand new mystery block appeared in the general ledger with the hash of 00000000000000000021e800c1e8df51b22c1588e5a624bea17e9faa34b2dc4a.
So why are people screaming time travel, aliens and everything in between? Well, turns out the number of zeros at the very start of that code is crazy similar to the block hash for the very first block ever created, affectionately dubbed “genesis block.” The part of the code with 21e8 in it that is after all those zeros is best explained via Medium by user coop_soup “21e8 is important because it signifies an exceptionally simple theory of everything. Often referred to as E8 Theory, it’s a physics preprint proposing a basis for a unified field theory, which attempts to describe all known fundamental interactions in physics and to stand as a possible theory of everything.”
If all this sounds like another language you aren’t alone. What is important to know is that this new code created a super important identifier and the combination of character is super rare and subsequently pretty important.
Copyright NBC/Broadway Video
Bitcoin Conspiracy or More?
So now for the fun part. What caused this? There are some insane theories going around. Futurism summarized them best.
- “Time travel. A block with this particular code (and assuming the codes that new blocks are assigned functions in a predictable pattern) is so improbable that you’d need a lot of time to achieve it. So it’s an indication that some bitcoin aficionado has mined in the future.
- Quantum computing. Like the point above, this explanation rests on the idea that you need a lot of time to arrive at this block hash. One way to cut down the amount of time needed? To operate several mining algorithms simultaneously, which quantum computing allows people to do. But who has the quantum computer? That part is still unclear.
- Satoshi himself. The mathematical coincidences (see the Medium post if you care to learn what they are) are too strong to think that this could be anyone other than Satoshi Nakamoto, the mysterious creator of the Bitcoin blockchain. Some users think it could be the same computer, if not the same person (or people) who created Bitcoin.
- Someone hacked the Bitcoin architecture. Satoshi’s true identity has never been revealed. Why would they do so in such a confusing way, and why now? It’s gotta be someone pretending to be Satoshi. And that could only mean one thing: hackers have taken control of the Bitcoin architecture.
- Random chance. “0”s happen. So does the combo of 21e8. They don’t mean anything.”
So there you have it. I promised time travel and AI. While I don’t buy any of this and attribute the string to crazy coincidence what will be interested to see is what value will this have on Bitcoin, which has been on quite the downward trend in recent months.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Solve all of your problems, add the perfect calculator to your life
With the right calculator, everything adds up! Whether you need a basic model or one with more advanced functions, there is a calculator that will meet your functional requirements.