The NPD results are out for June, and not much has changed on the hardware front. Sony still tops the list with the PlayStation 4 being the best selling console in North America, and this marks the second month of its new streak. The Xbox One last stood on top back with the NPD results for April.
Overall, hardware and software managed an impressive $869.4 million over the month of June, an 18 percent increase over the same period in the previous year. Games accounted for $345.5 million of that money, an increase of 21 percent over last June.
It’s not exactly difficult to see why this boost happened. This past month was dominated by Batman: Arkham Knight, a vastly popular video game in a world famous franchise. It topped out the NPDs with little sweat, and its second place competition, The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, comes from a heavyweight series as well. Jurassic Park and LEGO’s team-up is also no slouch. Compare these three guaranteed hits to the previous June when the biggest release was… okay, there were no big releases last June.
Murdered: Soul Suspect? Valiant Hearts: The Great War? I love it to pieces, but Shovel Knight? No physical releases, no NPD results, no chance in standing up to Batman or The Elder Scrolls. It’s not a bad idea to release a major game in June right after E3 if you want to stand out, I guess.
Nintendo’s Splatoon managed to land in the top 10 again as well, making it the only Nintendo exclusive hit. Check out the top ten games below.
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Lego: Jurassic World (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita)
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Splatoon (Wii U)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
- NBA 2K15 (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)