MSNBC aired a report on a class action lawsuit filed against AT&T, alleging that the carrier has been overcharging millions of subscribers. In data comparisons and tests, it was found that AT&T "systematically overstated the amount of data used on virtually every transaction." iPhone and iPad users, a key customerbase, were regularly overcharged seven to 14 percent for data, and were even sometimes overbilled as much as 300 percent.
The excess fees aren't huge, maybe $10-15 per user monthly, but when you're talking about regular overages across an entire userbase, that adds up to a lot.
AT&T says there's no merit to these allegations, and it's sticking to that — even in the face of "phantom" fees. (As a test, a new iPhone's software was disabled, so no data-using applications were running, and it still managed to rack up 35 charges.) The company blames application multitasking and auto-updating software for that, but says most of its users don't incur extra charges.
While this goes on, you can keep that bill from getting worse. So if you're getting pounded by data fees, check out these hits from the "common sense can go a long way" playbook:
- Use Wi-Fi whenever you can.
- Check your data usage periodically. Pop in online, on your device, via the myAT&T app, or just text *DATA# from your phone.
- Reevaluate your fetch and push rules. Turn off notifications on things you don't need.
- YouTube and other vid streaming services are big data hogs, so don't watch them on 3G unless it's absolutely necessary. And definitely don't do it if you're in a lousy coverage area. You might get some content dribbling out, as your phone struggles for signal – which will drain your battery too — but what little you'll see will look terrible, forcing you to rewatch it when you have Wifi anyway. So why waste the data?
- Put your phone on data blackout periods — like when you're traveling abroad. Nothing says "Surprise!" like racking up big international roaming fees.
- Don't forget you've probably got some cool offline content too. So if you often need to kill time while out on the go, instead of listening to Pandora or streaming clips, be sure to keep a stash of songs, eBooks and other stuff stored locally.
Are you getting hammered by data fees or, as AT&T says, are you staying under your data cap just fine? Let us know if this lawsuit surprises you, or if you have any data-saving tips of your own to share.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Make your foliage a feature with the best plant stands
Really show off your home's foliage with a plant stand that makes your greenery a statement, rather than just background noise. We've found a dozen desirable plant stand solutions to suit all types of spaces, all styles of decor and all kinds of plants.