Yesterday’s slip up on Atlus’ official website revealed three games slightly earlier than the company had planned, and today, Atlus is rolling with the punches and coming out with official announcements. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, and Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth will all be heading to North America in late 2017 and early 2018.
Now for some sweet trailers, galleries, and explanations! All three of these releases will be worth your time to check out, and they are all immediately going into my collection upon release.
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
- A Choose-your-own-odyssey Feel – Starting with the creation of your party to exploring the uncharted labyrinth of the Yggdrasil Tree, Beyond the Myth is all about choosing how your own adventure unfolds. Test your survival skills by wisely navigating the winding floors of Yggdrasil, using shrewd tactics when battling gruesome beasts, making the right decisions during various “scenarios,” and more. To meet these challenges, the home base city of Iorys is ready for all your buying/selling, recruiting, and information-gathering needs!
- Gameplay Fit for a True Pathfinder – It wouldn’t be an Etrian Odyssey game without the life-or-death need to map your progress. For those new to the series, the bottom screen of the 3DS displays a top-down, tile-based map that must be filled out while dungeon crawling. Players can use the map to mark the locations of treasures, doors, enemies, environmental obstructions, and more. Expect the unexpected at every turn–and then make a note on the map so it’s not so unexpected next time!
- Epic Turn-based Battles – There’s a reason why no one has ever reached the top of Yggdrasil. Dangerous creatures and utterly terrifying FOEs–high-level mini-bosses, for you newcomers–roam the labyrinth on every floor, so prepare to test your mettle with challenging turn-based battles. Proper planning is a must and balancing strong party composition is absolutely crucial for success. You’ll need the right team to unleash Union Attacks and level the playing field!
- Expanded Character Creation and Customization – With four unique races, 10 distinct classes, more customization options than any previous game in the franchise, and a streamlined skill tree/class advancement, you can shape a party to whatever your heart desires.
- A Magical Art Style and Score – Longtime series illustrator Yuji Himukai and renowned composer Yuzo Koshiro return to add their signature magic to the art and music in the game.
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth is the most exciting of the bunch as it is the only totally original game, and it stems from Atlus’ best non-Persona series. Can’t wait to try it this coming fall.
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
- An Enhanced Retelling of the Original – You’ll once again take the reins of Alistel operative Stocke as he unlocks the power of the White Chronicle relic and gains the ability to travel between two alternate timelines. With his new-found powers, Stocke will need to right the wrongs of the past in order to prevent the total annihilation of the world. This time though, things are a bit different. Redesigned character art, new character voice-overs, a brand-new opening animation by A-1 Pictures, new theme song, event illustrations, five new tracks from original composer Yoko Shimomura, and additional difficulty settings will enhance the experience in this fresh take of a beloved story.
- Exhilarating New Story Content– Stocke will now encounter a mysterious new character named Nemesia who will teach him more about his world’s history and unlock a third timeline to explore the ripple effect of some of his actions with episodic “what-if” scenarios. If you’re a Radiant Historia purist who simply wants to play through the original game’s story, we have you covered! Perfect Chronology offers two different modes: Append and Perfect. Append mode allows you to beat the original game before having the option to start a NewGame+ with the added content, while Perfect mode lets you play through the game with the inclusion of the third timeline from the beginning.
- A Classic That Can’t Be Missed – Even though there’s an abundance of expanded content to delve into, the heart and soul of Radiant Historia remains the same. If you missed out on the original game in 2011, the upcoming port is the perfect chance to play a modern classic. With an exciting positioning-based battle system, memorable characters, and thrilling time-travel mechanics, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is an essential for JRPG fans.
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is a remake of a 2011 cult-hit JRPG for the Nintendo DS with the same title. I might not be a fan of the new art style, but this game is stunning enough to overlook that if you are playing for the first time. The game will be released in early 2018.
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
- A Stranger Journey Back – In Strange Journey Redux, you play as a brave United Nations soldier investigating a spatial anomaly called the Schwarzwelt–a dome of dark energy that threatens to consume the world. Inside, you’ll find it home to a nightmare mirror of our own Earth, populated with demons dying to meet you. The game touts brand-new illustrations by Masayuki Doi, updated visuals, UI tweaks, and more to make this journey back into the Schwarzwelt… even stranger.
- Additional Story Content and a Brand-new Character – You won’t be retreading the same nightmarish path as before because a brand-new character named Alex will play a major role in how the story unfolds. Much about her is a mystery, but there is one thing you know for sure: she’s got a bone to pick with you. Joining her are new demons you might recognize from other SMT entries, new endings, and a new dungeon to die in–I mean, discover.
- A True Shin Megami Tensei Adventure – With its twisted demonic sci-fi story, addictive demon-collecting fun, and multiple narrative paths to explore, Strange Journey Redux is an essential ATLUS JRPG adventure that can’t be missed!
Shin Megami Tensei fans will like this remake since it takes the series’ traditional demon mechanics and sets them to a setting similar to John Carpenter’s The Thing. Excellent game! Will be released in early 2018.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Play at home or on the go with these awesome Nintendo Switch games
Nintendo Switch has an excellent catalog of games to play. From platformers to go-karts to open worlds, these are our favorites.