Apple is reportedly ready to cough up as much as $479 million for a Renesas Electronics' 55 percent stake of Renesas SP Drivers, a joint venture that produces chips used to increase the performance of LCD displays, ranging from power efficiency, to sharpness, the news outlet explained. Apple relies entirely on Renesas SP Drivers for the LCD chips, so it stands to make money in the long haul, if the deal goes through, by essentially cutting out the middle man.
Apple's stake would allow it to fully control the development of the chips, which are typically used in smartphones. Renenas SP Drivers, a profitable company, is owned by Powerchip, Sharp and Renesas Electronics. Nikkei said Sharp may also be willing to part with its 25-percent share in the joint venture, giving Apple about 80 percent ownership and leaving the remaining 20 percent in the hands of Powerchip.
Nikkei said that the deal could close as soon as this summer, ahead of the launch of Apple's iPhone 6 which is anticipated in September. The news outlet surmised that most of the 240 workers employed by Renesas SP Drivers will likely hang on to their jobs after the deal closes. Apple has not yet confirmed its intentions to acquire the Japanese firm.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Illustrate your brilliant ideas on the best whiteboards
Teaching, training, and brainstorming represent a fraction of activities that involve a lot of writing and erasing. What better medium to use than a whiteboard? We have a collection of some of the best whiteboards available today.