On Nov. 29th, also known as “Cyber Monday”, monolithic online retailer Amazon had its best day ever selling more than 13.7 million items, or 158 items per second. According to The Wall Street Journal, Amazon’s peak last year came on Dec. 14th with numbers of 9.5 million items, or 110 items per second, meaning that the company beat the old record by a hefty 44 percent.
To paraphrase Mel Brooks from History of the World, Part I, “It’s good to be the Amazon.”
Part of this year’s success according to Amazon, without giving us too many details, was the third-generation Kindle becoming the best selling product in the history of the company, out pacing the former champion, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
“We’re grateful to the millions of customers who have made the all-new Kindle the bestselling product in the history of Amazon — surpassing Harry Potter 7,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder and CEO. “We’re seeing that many of the people who are buying Kindles also own an LCD tablet. Customers report using their LCD tablets for games, movies, and web browsing and their Kindles for reading sessions. They report preferring Kindle for reading because it weighs less, eliminates battery anxiety with its month-long battery life, and has the advanced paper-like Pearl e-ink display that reduces eye-strain, doesn’t interfere with sleep patterns at bedtime, and works outside in direct sunlight, an important consideration especially for vacation reading. Kindle’s $139 price point is a key factor — it’s low enough that people don’t have to choose.”
As we recently mentioned in a post, Christmas 2010 could be the turning point for e-readers. Seeing as how on Christmas Day, more people turned on new Kindles for the first time, downloaded more Kindle Buy Once, Read Everywhere apps, and purchased more Kindle books than on any other day in history, that isn’t too hard to imagine being true now.
Some other fun facts Amazon shared:
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was the most purchased and gifted Kindle book on Christmas Day.
- During the holiday season, the biggest mobile shopping days for iPad, iPhone and Android users was Sunday, however the biggest mobile hopping day for BlackBerry users was Friday.
- The last One-Day Prime order that was delivered in time for Christmas, was placed on Dec. 23 at 6:48 p.m. PST and shipped to Billerica, Mass., for delivery on Dec. 24. The item was a Nautica Men’s NST Chronograph Bracelet Watch.
- The last Local Express Delivery order that was delivered in time for Christmas was placed by a Prime member and went to Woodinville, Wash. It was an Apple Mac Mini that was ordered at 1:41 p.m. on Christmas Eve and delivered at 8:04 p.m. that evening.
- Amazon customers purchased enough snow/tire chains to outfit the entire population of three of America’s top ski cities: Aspen, Breckenridge and Sun Valley.
- Amazon customers purchased so many pairs of jeans that if you folded each pair and stacked them on top of each other, the height would be the equivalent of Mt. Everest.
Amazon.com’s Hot Holiday Bestsellers (Nov. 14 through Dec. 19, based on units ordered):
- Electronics: Kindle (Wi-Fi); Kindle 3G; and Apple iPod touch 8GB
- Video Games and Hardware: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Just Dance 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Sports & Outdoors: Zumba Fitness Total Body Transformation System DVD Set; Razor A Kick Scooter; and Power Balance Silicone Wristband
- Movies: Inception, The Blind Side and Toy Story 3
- Kindle Books: The Confession: A Novel by John Grisham; Decision Points by George Bush; and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- Amazon MP3: “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” by Kanye West; “The 99 Most Essential Christmas Masterpieces” (Amazon Exclusive) by various artists; and “Born Free” by Kid Rock
- Watches: Timex Women’s Sports Digital Watch; Timex Kids’ My First Outdoor Black Fast Wrap Watch; and Casio Men’s G-Shock Classic Digital Watch
- Software: Anime Studio Debut 7; Manga Studio Debut 4; and Adobe Photoshop Elements 9
- Wireless: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T); HTC DROID INCREDIBLE Android Phone (Verizon Wireless); and Motorola DROID X Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)
- Frustration-Free Packaging: Transcend 4 GB Class Flash Memory Card; Fujifilm FinePix 12.2 MP Digital Camera; and Coffee People Donut Shop K-Cups for Keurig Brewers
What say you? Did you join in the Kindle crowd this year?
The Galaxy S20 Ultra's Space Zoom camera is amazing and a bit creepy
The Galaxy S20 Ultra supports up to 100X zoom, which Samsung calls Space Zoom, but is it any good? Can a phone really product usable photos at 100x zoom? We've got our Galaxy S20 Ultra already so join us to find out!
Win an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch with the Reader's Choice giveaway!
What's the best phone of 2019? Is it the iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7T? What about the best laptop, games console, tablet and more? Vote NOW in the Reader's Choice awards and win BIG in time for the holidays!
Here are the best products from IFA 2019!
Here are the products announced at IFA 2019 that were worthy of our Best of IFA 2019 awards. Also featuring MrMobile's single best product at the show!
Keep your form perfect with the best arm blasters
Need better form when you're working out? An arm blaster can help keep your posture perfect while isolating your arms to encourage growth and strength building while working out. Our top picks are...