There are no active ads.

Rockstar has Finally Abandoned ‘Agent’ – Almost 10 Years Later

by Eric Frederiksen | November 27, 2018November 27, 2018 11:30 am PST

Look back with me. Way back. To a time before even the original Red Dead Redemption, when the PlayStation 3 looked like a George Foreman Grill. Back to the year 2009. Rockstar Games announced during E3 that it had a new game in the works and that it was going to be PlayStation 3-exclusive. That game was Agent, and it’s now, officially and finally, dead.

DualShockers spotted a recent trademark filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website, which calls the Agent trademark “Dead… Refused/Dismissed or Invalidated.”

Since that original announcement, we’ve learned very, very little about the game. The game was supposedly going to be set during the Cold War, setting players on “a paranoid journey into the world of counter-intelligence, espionage, and political assassinations.”

Rockstar boss Sam Houser said that Agent would be “the ultimate action game” at the time.

Since then, Sony and Rockstar have said at various times that the game is under development, but we’ve never seen any footage of it, or any officially-confirmed images.

Neither Rockstar nor Take-Two have confirmed at this time that the game is canceled, but the abandoned trademark is pretty telling. If some part of this game is still under active development after this long, it’s likely been through enough of a transformation that the old concept doesn’t apply.

Even now, just as back then, the idea of a spy game set during the era of spycraft is an absolutely fascinating idea, and I’m sad to hear the dream is dead. At least we have Red Dead Redemption II to console us.

AlertMe


Eric Frederiksen

Eric Frederiksen has been a gamer since someone made the mistake of letting him play their Nintendo many years ago, pushing him to beg for his own,...

Advertisement