Don’t roll up to your kid’s soccer match in a clunky minivan. Roll up with some muscle, riding behind the wheel of the 2018 Dodge Durango SRT. And if you need to rush a kid to the doctor during halftime, you’ll be the quickest to shuffle the whole family there. Dodge said the new 2018 Durango SRT is the fastest 3-row SUV on the market thanks to its 475hp HEMI V8.
The 2018 Durango SRT is probably just as comfortable out on the streets as it is at a soccer game, though. In fact, Dodge says the car received a National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) certified quarter-mile time, accelerating from 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds and finishing the quarter mile in 12.9 seconds. Not bad for a car that packs enough room for the whole family and can tow 8,600 pounds.
The 2018 Durango SRT features seven different driving modes, including a special trace mode for grabbing as much torque out of the engine as possible, a sport mode that decreases shift times by up to 50 percent, an auto-mode and more. It also features performance-tuned all-wheel drive for when the weather takes a turn for the worse. Here’s a full look at every mode, as explained by Dodge:
- Auto: activates automatically when starting the vehicle. Sets the suspension and steering to comfort setting and longer shift times for longer, relaxed driving conditions
- Sport: delivers increased vehicle performance capability over Auto Mode. Tightens up suspension damping and increased steering gradient feel for improved cornering response. In addition, shift speed increases 23 percent in 1-4 gears and electronic stability control (ESC) allows more yaw for spirited driving
- Track: delivers maximum vehicle performance capability on smooth, dry surfaces. Tightens up to full hard suspension damping and steering gradient feel for maximum cornering response. In addition, shift speed increases 50 percent in 1-4 gears from Auto mode and ESC allows maximum yaw
- Snow: sets ideal configuration for driving in snow by setting transmission to use second gear (rather than first gear) during launches to minimize wheel slippage; stability control is set to Full-on and AWD is set to 50/50 distribution
- Tow: sets ideal configuration to tow a trailer by using full stability control; AWD is set to 50/50 distribution and trailer sway control is enabled in the ESC system. In addition, the Active Noise Cancelation system is automatically engaged to reduce engine noise from the high-load towing condition
- Valet: engine is remapped to mimic the Dodge Charger V-6 engine’s torque and horsepower settings; transmission locks out access to first gear and upshifts earlier than normal; traction, steering and suspension are set to their Auto settings; steering wheel paddle shifters are disabled; ESC is enabled to Full-on and launch control is disabled
- ECO: maximizes fuel economy with a revised shift schedule, second-gear starts and extended range of the Fuel Saver Technology
2018 Dodge Durango SRT coming Q4 2017
“The new 2018 Dodge Durango SRT is America’s fastest, most powerful and most capable three-row SUV,” said Tim Kuniskis, Head of Passenger Cars Brands, Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and FIAT – FCA North America. “This is what you get, when you take everything great about the Durango and combine it with the performance of the Charger SRT: a 12-second quarter mile, toy-hauling, three-row muscle car.”
The 2018 Dodge Durango SRT will be built at Dodge’s Detroit plant. It’ll be on the show floor at the Chicago Auto Show beginning on February 9 and will be available at dealers in the fourth quarter of this year, just in time for next winter.