There has been another major disturbance in the Force, as Lucasfilm on Tuesday confirmed Colin Trevorrow will no longer direct Star Wars: Episode IX. The film is currently slated for a May 24, 2019 release, so there’s a possibility his departure could put the film’s production schedule in peril.
A quote from Lucasfilm said the executives at Lucasfilm didn’t see eye-to-eye with Trevorrow.
Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.
Trevorrow’s departure from the film is the second time this year a director has left a project. With only weeks left until the project wrapped up filming, it was announced that Phil Lord and Chris Miller were leaving the untitled Han Solo project. Ron Howard came in as a replacement.
According to sources close to Trevorrow’s departure, there were disagreements about the movie’s script, which the director is said to have taken “repeated stabs at.” Lucasfilm has reportedly brought in Jack Thorne, who recently wrote Wonder, to fix the work done by Trevorrow.
Without Episode IX on his plate, that leaves Trevorrow, who previously directed Jurassic World, without any major projects on the horizon. Expect to hear much more about his departure from Episode IX over the coming months.