Razer’s Blade Pro is a powerful machine that offers desktop-level specs in a stealthy package. But at $3,999, it isn’t exactly affordable, making it accessible to only a very limited consumer base. That changes today with a new version of the Blade Pro, which is over $1,000 cheaper than the base 4K model.
The new configuration option still features a gigantic 17.3-inch display, same ports, and same chassis. However, the screen is now a 1080p IPS panel, and the graphics card has been brought down to a GeForce GTX 1060.
Meanwhile, the new configuration, which is compatible with the Razer Core, features 16GB of RAM (which can be upgraded up to 32GB), a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, and an Intel Core i7 processor.
Some users might look at the Blade Pro as a marked step-down, but it offers a great blend of power and style. The new configuration is actually lighter since it doesn’t feature a glass screen, with better battery life as a potential improvement.
“The Razer Blade Pro is the ultimate gaming laptop that packs desktop-level performance with unmatched portability,” said Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-found and CEO. “This latest iteration offers an optimized configuration for gamers and professionals that want a 17-inch display and top-notch build quality.”
That 17-inch display is key, because if you don’t mind the smaller 14-inch Blade, you’ll get a comparable machine at a much more affordable price of $1,899. It really depends on if you want the option to upgrade up to 32GB of RAM and absolutely need a 17-inch display.
If you do opt for the Blade Pro, Razer has also announced a backpack, called Rogue, that has been designed for 17-inch laptops. Razer will begin offering the new Blade Pro configuration through its website during Q3 2017, with expanded retail available over the holiday period.
Below you can see the new Blade Pro’s key specs:
- 17.3″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) 120 Hz IPS Non-Touch Matte Display
- Quad-Core Intel® Core i7-7700HQ Processor (2.8 GHz / 3.8 GHz)
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 1060 (6GB GDDR5)
- 16GB (8GB x 2) Dual-Channel System Memory (slotted, DDR4, 2400MHz)
- Expandable to 32GB (16GB x 2)
- 256GB SSD (PCIe m.2) + 2TB HDD storage
- Expandable up to 2TB SSD (PCIe m.2) and 4TB HDD
- Windows® 10 64-Bit
- Killer DoubleShot™ Pro technology:
- Killer™ Wireless-AC 1535 (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth® 4.1)
- Killer E2500 (gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000)
- USB 3.0 port x3 (SuperSpeed)
- Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C™)
- HDMI 2.0 video and audio output
- SDXC card reader
- Dolby® Digital Plus Home Theater Edition
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Built-in array microphone
- 3.5 mm microphone/headphone combo jack
- 7.1 Codec support (via HDMI)
- Built-in webcam (2.0 MP)
- Anti-ghosting individually backlit keyboard powered by Razer Chroma™
- Multimedia keys with scroll wheel
- Multi-touch Precision Touchpad
- Razer Synapse enabled with programmable keyboard, backlighting, and fan control
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2.0) security chip embedded
- Kensington™ Lock interface
- Compact 165W Power Adapter
- Built-in 70Wh rechargeable lithium ion polymer battery
- 0.88 in. (22.5 mm) Height x 16.7 in. (424 mm) Width x 11 in. (281 mm) Depth
- 6.78 lbs. / 3.07 kg