Famitsu is a weekly gaming magazine in Japan. One of the features they run is a sort of “Most Wanted” segment. They poll readers about the games they’re looking forward to, and then they run the results.
For the week of July 20-26, 2017, Japan really only cares about games coming to Nintendo platforms. Specifically, they want Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS games.
Here’s the full list, translated, from Japanese Nintendo.
Famitsu Most Wanted
- Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) – 458
- Fire Emblem Musou (Switch) – 299
- Pokémon Ultra Sun Moon (3DS) – 294
- Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey (3DS) – 268
- The Snack World: Trejarers (3DS) – 260
- Xenoblade 2 (Switch) – 237
- Fire Emblem Musou (3DS) – 165
- Sekaiju to Fushigi no Dungeon 2 (3DS) – 157
- Metroid Samus Returns (3DS) – 143
- Dragon Quest XI: Sugisarishi Toki o Motomete (Switch) – 141
- Fire Emblem New Work (Switch) – 95
- Tantei Jinguji Saburo: Ghost of the Dusk (3DS) – below 85
The Dragon Quest game, for what it’s worth, is already out on the PlayStation 4.
I imagine that, were this a poll from a few weeks back, we’d see Splatoon 2 at or near the top of the list.
Nintendo is extremely hot right now, especially in Japan. The Nintendo 3DS has always done well, and the Nintendo Switch is commanding way more attention than the Wii U.
PlayStation should be taking notice, shouldn’t they? Where’s the hype for their games right now?