Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone grabbed headlines when it was announced in May, but its reputation quickly took a turn for the worse after it missed its promised launch window. Now, those who pre-ordered the device are being promised that the device will launch “in a few weeks.”
That’s still very non-specific from the company’s CEO, who previously said the device would be out in June. Below is an email Rubin reportedly sent out in an effort to assuage fears about the handset’s future.
— Owen Williams ⚡️ (@ow) July 21, 2017
When the Essential Phone was introduced, it sparked a lot of excitement. Here was a device that featured an edge-to-edge display and premium specs in a package designed to challenge the dominance of Samsung’s Galaxy S8.
But it’s been a rough several weeks for Essential, which has come under scrutiny for failing to keep its promise. What’s worse, the company (until now) has repeatedly avoided requests for comment about the phone’s delay.
“We’ve been hard at work getting everything ready and the good news is that we’re now going through certification and testing with multiple US and international carriers,” Rubin said in an email.
So, you should have your hands on the Essential Phone in the next few weeks if everything goes according to plan. Just in time to go head to head with the Galaxy Note 8, which we already know will be announced on August 23.
The Essential Phone features a 5.71-inch QHD display, dual-camera setup, Snapdragon 835 chip, 3,040mAh battery, 4GB of RAM, and a titanium chassis for extra durability. You can pre-order one now for $699.