If you’re a Red Dead Redemption fan, I have some bad news. Rockstar on Monday announced the sequel to the 2010 Western won’t launch until spring of 2018, which means we’re in for another twelve months (give or take) of waiting.
Fans are already taking the news hard. Some are responding to the news with sadness, while others are remaining hopeful and optimistic. Many fans, however, are quick to point out on Twitter that Rockstar has an infamous reputation for delaying titles.
“This outlaw epic set across the vast and unforgiving American heartland will be the first Rockstar game created from the ground up for the latest generation of console hardware, and some extra time is necessary to ensure that we can deliver the best experience possible for our fans,” Rockstar said in a blog post. “We are very sorry for any disappointment this delay cause, but we are firm believers in delivering a game only when it is ready.”
Rockstar’s games are some of the biggest and most ambitious in the industry, so delays are par for the course. Because Red Dead Redemption is so beloved, the news is particularly tough to swallow. After being unveiled last year, some big expectations have put set upon the sequel. If a delay means we get a better game, so be it.
Fans anxious to get another look at Red Dead Redemption 2 can check out a handful of new images up above, which shows off some of the locations and an incredible level of detail to expect in the sequel.
Additionally, Rockstar said more details about the game will be shared this summer. Seeing as E3 is just around the corner, we can probably expect more information then.
— Rockstar Games (@RockstarGames) May 22, 2017
@RockstarGames a delayed Rockstar game? I'm shocked
— Jason (@ItsNOSAJ) May 22, 2017
@RockstarGames let's be honest here. It'll come holiday 2018
— Dallas (@dallasmed65) May 22, 2017
@RockstarGames You have no idea how angry this makes me
— Sam (@samgsy98) May 22, 2017
— Roca not @ Anaheim (@ItsRoca) May 22, 2017