In Sonic Forces players will be able to play as Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic and, well, something entirely new. They’ll be able to create their own custom character with unique gadgets and equipment.
Sega announced this bit of news earlier this week, and that announcement included a trailer. Dig into that below, then hit the details we received from their PR folks.
Players will, according to Sega, be able to choose from hundreds of accessories and outfit options as they make their character. The release went on to indicate some of what’s available.
There are seven base animal types that players can select from, each with varying special abilities:
- Wolf – Automatically draws in rings when near them
- Rabbit – Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
- Cat – Keeps one ring after being hit
- Dog – Restarts with five rings after the player dies
- Bear – Blows away enemies with a homing attack
- Bird – Flies high with double jump abilities
- Hedgehog – Collects rings when getting damaged
Immediately, I dig the idea of a little customization in a Sonic game. That tells me that they’ve had to be creative when it comes to level design in order to account for stuff like double-jumping.
However, the Sonic franchise is one that’s routinely guilty of gimmicks. I’m hoping this is more than simply a gimmick. We’ll see.
Sonic Forces is due this holiday for the PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.