Naughty Dog scored big at the British Academy Games Awards held at Tobacco Dock in London last night with its game Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End taking home the grand prize of Best Game. It faced a gauntlet of competition from other heavy hitter nominees from 2016 including Firewatch, Inside, Overwatch, Stardew Valley and Titanfall 2.
Inside emerged as the second best game of the year, scoring four awards in other categories. See the full list of awards below.
- Best Game: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Artistic Achievem ent: Inside.
- Audio Achievement: The Last Guardian.
- British Game: Overcooked.
- Debut Game: Firewatch.
- Evolving Game: Rocket League.
- Family: Overcooked.
- Game Design: Inside.
- Game Innovation: That Dragon Cancer.
- Mobile: Pokémon GO.
- Multiplayer: Overwatch.
- Music: Virginia.
- Narrative: Inside.
- Original Property: Inside.
- Performer: Cissy Jones – Firewatch (Delilah)
- esports Audience Award: Clash Royale.
- BAFTA Ones To Watch Award: Among the Stones.
- BAFTA Special Award: Brenda Romero.
Naughty Dog’s second victory
This is the second time Naughty Dog has walked away with a Best Game award from BAFTA. It also won back in 2014 with its seminal hit The Last of Us against tough competition from Papers Please… and other games. Naughty Dog has become a consistent presence during the game seasons awards, and while I’m not overly big on its games, it’s hard to argue that there is a better name in the business right now.
We’ll have to see how it does in a post-Uncharted world. Dare I say, Naughty Dog is moving into… “uncharted” territory…